Trance Snares and Crashes

DayTrader

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find a sample of a snare that sounds like the ones used in most trance songs. It sounds like a very wide and loose snare almost like a splash as a opposed to other snares that sound very tight and hard. Also, it seems they use something to widen this sound. Do they perhaps create two of these and pan them in opposite directions and maybe offset one a little?

Also, with the crashes they use, they also seems like a splash - much longer and higher pitched than the crashes I have in my samples. My samples consist of nothing more than 808 and 909s, since I'm rather new and do this very casually.

Any help would be appreciate!

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I suppose an example would be rather helpful. I can't post a link so on youtube simply search for Ben Gold - Life (Sean Tyas Remix). The crash I am looking for is heard in the opening note. The snare in this song is very nice. It's wide and loose and ends abruptly at the end. I know I can achieve this by playing with the volume envelope but I need a nice wide sounding snare to work with.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find a sample of a snare that sounds like the ones used in most trance songs. It sounds like a very wide and loose snare almost like a splash as a opposed to other snares that sound very tight and hard. Also, it seems they use something to widen this sound. Do they perhaps create two of these and pan them in opposite directions and maybe offset one a little?

Also, with the crashes they use, they also seems like a splash - much longer and higher pitched than the crashes I have in my samples. My samples consist of nothing more than 808 and 909s, since I'm rather new and do this very casually.

Any help would be appreciate!

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I suppose an example would be rather helpful. I can't post a link so on youtube simply search for Ben Gold - Life (Sean Tyas Remix). The crash I am looking for is heard in the opening note. The snare in this song is very nice. It's wide and loose and ends abruptly at the end. I know I can achieve this by playing with the volume envelope but I need a nice wide sounding snare to work with.

Hi,
The sound you refer to in "Ben Gold - Life (Sean Tyas Remix)" is not actually a snare. It's a clap.
It has a short/room type reverb added and the reverb has had its 'pre delay' control adjusted so that there is a short delay(or pause) before the reverb activates. What you hear is - clap,delay(or pause),short reverb. This is why after "clap,delay(or pause)" the sound goes 'wide' as you hear the reverb activate. I say 'or pause' to avoid confusion with pre-delay and delay type effects. A reverb pre delay makes no sound, it is literally just a time delay before the reverb activates and becomes audible.

The sound used by tyas seems to my ears as if it has two pre fader aux sends added, with one sending a small amount of signal to a short digital delay (the type you can hear! set about one 16th one side and 1 8th on the other side) and the other aux sending some signal to a side chain compressor. In fact you can guarantee that some signal IS being sent to a side chain compressor because, well because I can hear it is, because this is what is also accentuating the second attack portion of the snare making it sound as though it is 'sliding' in. So if you are familiar with the technique then some pre fade send from your clap to the sidechain will enhance the effect you are looking for.

If you are very new to it all then your best bet is to get a clap sound, add a reverb to it and play around with the pre delay control.
If you are unfamiliar with using aux busses and side chaining then these are things for your to-do list as they are complex and not something that can be rushed while learning.

Ashley B, thank you very much for your very detailed answer. I'm surprised it's this complicated but that makes it more interesting for me. It looks like I've got some work to do!

I like vengeance essentials club sounds, its a pack with a bunch of kicks, snares, cymbals, percussions, even has fx, crowds, voice samples, drum loops for when you're lazy, and sound fonts.

I like vengeance essentials club sounds, its a pack with a bunch of kicks, snares, cymbals, percussions, even has fx, crowds, voice samples, drum loops for when you're lazy, and sound fonts.

I just bought this and wow am I impressed! Thanks for the heads up!

its ur choice !! but remmber always keep the rules!! Reverse Clap and Smash snare(like Hit on the DARK side)
im using snares!! i dont like Claps :D

Back