top ten albums of all time

Tough to narrow it down to just ten so I will go with those that influenced me the most and in no particular order.

1. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation Of Millions
Raw power in a time when everything was getting slicked down, completely unapologetic in it's delivery. This will always make my list.

2. Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
They matured a lot on this album and along with the Dust Brothers showed that an album could be constructed almost in it's entirety of sampled materials. The first album I bought that forced me to listen to it several times before I could even comprehend what was going on with it...so complex for it's time and still stands up.

3. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
The first album made solely of sampled material and solid from the first press of play. I still have this on rotation.

4. EPMD - Strictly Business
A buddy of mine gave me this album and the music and rhyme style just blew me away as different than anything I had heard to that point. Can't really put my finger on why but I just fell in love with it immediately.

5. Gangstarr - Step in the Arena
Flawless album and storytelling from start to finish. Another one that opened a new world of style up to me.

6. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
A true game changer in the history of hip hop/rap music. It ushered in gangster rap but at the same time had a sonic quality that was ahead of the rest by far.

7. Ice Cube -Amerikkkas Most Wanted
The first solo from Ice Cube came out hard as **** on the rhymes with amazing beats laid down by the Bomb Squad. In my opinion it is the greatest album Cube has put out and really had no competition for years.

8. MC Lyte - Eyes On This
I don't normally find myself liking too many female rappers but she nailed this one out the park.

9. Special Ed - Youngest In Charge
Not sure why but I still go back to this album. It was fun, had great production value and was different than the new jack swing everyone else was jumping onto at the time.

10. Kwame - Boy Genius
Probably gonna get flamed for this but seriously it is put together so well I can't not mention it.

11. Newcleus - Jam On revenge
I know you said 10 but mine goes to 11. This album got so much play even my mom knew the songs.

I am a bit older and most of these albums were while I was in school (K-12). Each one had a huge impact on what I listen to and how I approach the music I listen to. I could write a pretty long list past this but these are the ones that come readily to mind today.

Back