Top 10 Reasons Why the Music Industry is Failing

as other technologies where developed and advanced and which exposed what was essentially a scam in itself. Maybe we should be asking the question - what was the reason behind the music industry over achieving in it's earlier years?

I disagree and I believe it is the difference between 'taking something for granted' and determining its value. Being able to get something for free does not determine/impact/decide/affect its WORTH. All that does is allow you to ignore its value. This could be along post comparing 'back in day' [horse and buggy, if you want to go back that far...] to now and how music permeates every aspect of our lives - and truly how little control over the amount and quality of music you hear every day. You THINK you have total control because you are free to ADD MORE after the set amount. It's the concept of saying "You are FREE to WORK over-time".

And lastly I find it absurd that a place full of people spending countless hours making music are simple enough to fall for the brain-washing to believe music has no value.
They can't wait for you to ask for compensation.

Current sales figures suggest that with the drop in unit turn over, the race seems on to keep the flooding us with so called fresh new and innovative releases, it's inevitable an increase in disposable quick turn over music would be necessary to compensate for way less album longevity. Free music doesn't devalue the entire current scene but creates faster turn over, how many artists to day release their greatest hits album :4theloveofgod:after only 2 or three hit singles?

stop complicating things with convoluted philosophies and theories. music isnt worth a shit because I can get as much of it as I want for free and no one will tell me otherwise. why would I pay for it? Why would anyone pay for anything that they can get for free?

stop complicating things with convoluted philosophies and theories. music isnt worth a shit because I can get as much of it as I want for free and no one will tell me otherwise. why would I pay for it? Why would anyone pay for anything that they can get for free?

Correct in terms of money bonanza , the music industry doesn't have the same kind of stranglehold on distribution it commanded during the 50's 60's 70's 80's and most of the 90's, binary code stepped in to relinquish some of those powers and the gravy train almost ground to a halt, as a consumer I'm not entirely convinced the industry is failing, as a business model it works far less efficiently in financial terms, the real question maybe - could anyone produce an album in today's climate that achieves the same kind of iconic status to say A Sergeant Pepper/ creative terms or Queens Greatest hits/ money making prowess. Personally speaking, I think there is creativity out there but the money isn't?

Last edited:
as other technologies where developed and advanced and which exposed what was essentially a scam in itself. Maybe we should be asking the question - what was the reason behind the music industry over achieving in it's earlier years?

I disagree and I believe it is the difference between 'taking something for granted' and determining its value. Being able to get something for free does not determine/impact/decide/affect its WORTH. All that does is allow you to ignore its value. This could be along post comparing 'back in day' [horse and buggy, if you want to go back that far...] to now and how music permeates every aspect of our lives - and truly how little control over the amount and quality of music you hear every day. You THINK you have total control because you are free to ADD MORE after the set amount. It's the concept of saying "You are FREE to WORK over-time".

And lastly I find it absurd that a place full of people spending countless hours making music are simple enough to fall for the brain-washing to believe music has no value.
They can't wait for you to ask for compensation.

I claim music as a product has no value. Music as a service does. It always has. the oligarchy commissioning composers to write classics, jazz clubs paying a band to entertain drinkers and eaters, a dj playing other artists music in a club, or going to a concert to hear a pop star is all a service. In fact technically, hearing music on the radio or on spotify or Pandora is ALSO a service. It is what it should be.

So as artists and business men we cant get caught up in why the old way doesn't work we have to understand what ALWAYS works.

But then some off brand ass rapper named J.Cole reaches to push platinum and you say the industry is failing? WTF does J.Cole have to offer? Not a damn thing.

Yet we must be comparing J.Cole to Nelly in his prime.........Kendrick to Snoop in his prime.......

That right there in bold is common sense of why..........and that's not really an industry fail. They doing something right yet some ingredience is missing. Because you got a class of introverts who enjoy the J.Cole/Kendrick/Drake stuff............ah oh............then there is Drake. Drake is a dude with a whole lot to offer......so what do these "real hip hop artist only" have to offer fans? Not a damn thing. What does Niki have to offer? A lot.

So what is this Alot that Drake has to offer? Lil'Wayne with milk? Niki? Lil' Wayne with a wig and plastic tits? Is that alot to offer?

Agree with you about J Cole though.

^^^They have more to offer than just catering to "hip hop fans". They are Pop material artist. Gettin play on radio stations other than the ones that won't play "Katy Perry" without a rapper or R&B feature.

Not the industry's fault that the underground sound doesn't fit rotation.

Last edited:
This entire thread is senseless. Music is selling at a decent pace. There aren't as many albums released today as there once was, but we still manage to keep up. If anything, the problem is that labels don't take chances and put out as many artists these days because the payoff isn't what it was a few years ago.

If labels went back to a 1980s work ethic, the payout would be equivalent. They got used to that early millennium hustle of throwing out anything, putting a video on MTV and going 4x platinum without doing any work.

It's time for guys to get back in the trenches, but they've gotten too used to being given piles of money for small amounts of work. Now is a time when hard work pays off. Much like any era of music up until the point where albums could sell like hotcakes off no effort.

Hip hoppers are the funniest to me. We've convinced ourselves these cheaply made makeshift albums are worthy of more. Remember Ill & Al Scratch? Brand Nubian? Smoothe Tha Hustla? Nine? Group Home? Bahamadia? Nonchalant? Nicole Wray? Channel Live? Royal Flush? Cormega? Sunz of Man? Gravediggaz? Jeru the Damaja? Nice N Smooth? Lords of the Underground? Souls Of Mischief?, B.U.M.S.? Whoridaz? Artifacts? Beatnuts? Heather B? Big Noyd? These guys sold way less than albums we call "failures" now. They got promoted better, and got more chances to return with another release. That's back when slow money was still the story of success.

Everyone has the Puff Daddy mentality now. "If they don't go multiplatinum off top, abandon the entire project and drop the artist". That's not the story to success. Look at how much groundwork was done to establish Destiny's child. Their 1st album is unknown to most of the world. But they regrouped and the second made them household names, from there Beyonce gained exposure that lead to a solo career. What if Rihanna wasn't given a second chance after her lackluster 1st album?

The problem with records today starts and stops at the execs and suits. They're the ones doing the half assed job. They won't scratch and scrape to make you successful like they once did because there came a time when you could just walk anyone in that office, give them a makeover and a predictable generic cliche' single and sell 500k 1st week 4M by the end of the year.

That's some new shyt, it wasn't like that except a few years...they just got so comfortable during that time, they forgot how much work it once took. PERIOD.

Proof is in artists like Riff Raff or Mac Miller who can stay more relevant than most fly by night "Majors" by continuously fighting to keep themselves relevant when a label would've moved on by now. That short attention span doesn't equate to big bucks like it once did...you now have to develop, establish, and stay consistant...LIKE YOU ONCE DID.

As long as people play the blame game instead of seeing that...they'll keep missing the money out there.

^^^They have more to offer than just catering to "hip hop fans". They are Pop material artist. Gettin play on radio stations other than the ones that won't play "Katy Perry" without a rapper or R&B feature.Not the industry's fault that the underground sound doesn't fit rotation.

So did 50 Cent, Lil'Wayne & Nelly.

The music itself is a Lil'Wayne-lite product.
Lil'Wayne is popular and he sells; Nicki sells because shes a woman that raps like Lil'Wayne . Drake sells to people who think Lil'Wayne sounds too hardcore.

If you wanna talk about image/personality, Drake is just another sensitive boy singing love songs. Even J Cole could've been Drake if he was at the right place at the right time.

Nicki Minaj took Lady Gagas image to get to the pop world. Theyre like the same person now except one raps.

And it kinda is the industy's fault, the labels & radio started focusing on teenage girls too much and forgot about everyone else. Now they cant take risks anymore, because theres noone else.

Last edited:
So did Nelly.

O.K.....let's break it down. Something came over Nelly. Nelly got stuck on the exact opposite of what made him popular. The guy is no fun any more. He's not the innocent party "black guy" no more.

He's the.....um......he's the......hell...IDK who Nelly is now. Maybe he is the motivational father to teen girls or something.....IDK.

Is it going to be an INDUSTRY FAIL when Nelly do "LL numbers"?

LL had a dope ass album........do we blame the "INDUSTRY" for that? What went wrong with that album? I heard a DJ play his song......that was very rare.

Hmmmmmmmmm....is this the DJ thread? hint...hint..........

O.K.....this the DJ thread...........maybe the "Illuminati" is telling or paying DJs what to play and what not to.......like EVERY IMPORTANT DJ.

How can any J.Cole song match up to any classic Nelly song?

Hope yall see where I'm going with this. Nelly at one point had way more to offer. Nelly's music used to make woman get drunk, fuuck in a closet, and have fatherless babies. His music served a purposed, MAN!!!! Nobody wants this dude motivating them on a song......like he a father. They want that corny ass dude that makes them feel like they don't have nothing to hide. They gone get pregnant.....and feel they let Nelly down now....feel bad about getting a train ran on them the other night.....they are going to change the channel. HOW DARE YOU NELLY!!!!!

We want some

Drunk ass party animal shit!!!

Last edited:
There is nobody now who can match a classic Nelly song. Flo Rida is now like the only pop/party rapper i can think of who doesnt sound like forks on a plate.

also, when a country/world is struggling economically...the first thing people stop spending money on is...(Ill let you finish this sentence)

Back