To cut to grid, or not?

gabeltron

New to sampling and trying to build a library of samples I'm cutting from various records - sampling directly into pro tools and cutting. I plan to build a library of loops, cut up phrases, single notes, one shots and random noises. I guess I'm considering Geist as my sequencer.

Now, my question is (if someone experienced would be so kind to comment on) should I make sure that my cuts match the grid in PT with the correct tempo? For many loops I can cut it and feel that it's got a groove, but certain that it's not pegged to the grid. Should I tap out the tempo and stretch it so that it's right on the grid? Should I do that with every sample?

I plan to organize the library by the types of sounds and estimated bpm, but it's a bit overwhelming to think about how to organize this.

In terms of style I'm influenced by Fourtet, Fridge, Tortoise, artists along these lines.

Very much appreciate any advice - -

The first thing you want to do is accurately determine the BPM, I would recommend using a stopwatch because it tends to be more accurate than tap tempo (which is set up to be more fool proof than accurate) the stopwatch also displays the loop length in seconds.

60 / time X beats = BPM

If it's a loop, chop it so it uh... loops. I wouldn't time stretch it just yet, since you'd probably stretch it again to fit the project you're working. If you wanna sort them by Bpm I would just tap it out

Back