To all the Reason 5 users - compression issue

kmano

I'd like to know a few things: witch compressor do you use? Mclass compressor or COMP-01? Im in the proccess of getting knolwedge about compressing and I wonder how should I use it in Reason. Can I just create a compressor under the device that I want to compress and it will work? Can I compress for example in Kong every single drum? Kick, snare, etc? Or do I have to compress all the percussion at one time?

And one more thing, what should I do first to my mix, equalize it or compress it? What comes first usually?

I'd like to know a few things: witch compressor do you use? Mclass compressor or COMP-01? Im in the proccess of getting knolwedge about compressing and I wonder how should I use it in Reason. Can I just create a compressor under the device that I want to compress and it will work? Can I compress for example in Kong every single drum? Kick, snare, etc? Or do I have to compress all the percussion at one time?

And one more thing, what should I do first to my mix, equalize it or compress it? What comes first usually?

I don't compress to often but when I do I use the Mclass.

Yes you can create a compress under the device you'd like to compress with that said each unit can have it's own compressor(s)

yes each channel from the kong can be run through its own compressor

Your last question is up to you. If you have really good sounds compression and EQ won't be needed as much

I use M Class everything, I don't see any reason why not unless maybe you're trying to save CPU.

For example, why would I want to use a 2 band EQ, when the M Class has high pass, low pass, and 3 bands.

The M Class stuff is a little more complicated, I'm sure it eats up more CPU, but it also gives you more control.

Mclass I use. Comp-01 is a bit more aggresive to me. I use it ocassionally. If you create a piano, then right click and create a compressor, it will automatically be routed. Yes you can compress every drum in Kong.

What you do to your Mix is up to what You want to hear. There are ways to do it. Cut frequencies out first then compress then another Eq to add. OR Compress then cut & add.

Back