Tipps for Mastering and Mixing of this Track?

Hey,

a label want to release this track of me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wl0fl2k0dexvmm/The Reason of Me (Original Mix)_Final.wav?dl=0

what about the mixing/mastering? Nay tipps or mastering feedback?

Thank you!!

I just listened to this, there are several mixing and mastering issues present that make it not ready for a release if you ask me. The synth arpeggio is too loud it bites the ears a lot because they are not high frequency enough and because they are too loud in signal level. The side chained synth background sound you hear at the very end, that becomes very heavy when you listen to the song from the start to the end, it pumps in a way that is not pleasant. The kick is too loud compared to the snare. The use of the stereo image is pretty good, it fills up the sound stage quite nicely. The mix is a bit low end heavy and a bit heavy overall, I think you should look for a different gain structure and loudness target, relaxing it a little I think would be nice. There are some frequency overlaps in the high end and some frequencies in the high end are also bit too loud. The mix also needs a bit more saturation and some additional compression characters. I also miss a little harmonics in the sub frequencies, the lows and the mids. I hope this helps!!

Overall I find the production is too focused on impact and not enough focused on the vibe. I think what I would do with this is actually to go back to the rough mixing stage and work very hard on the harmonics and dynamics towards the target loudness level (probably also look through the gain staging conditions before I start) Then add all of the juice on top. And I am not sure I would be happy at the end of the rough mix, chances are I would request it to go back to recording because I miss certain "natural" frequencies in the recording.

I think what you should do is to mute all reverbs, side chain pumping and delays and see what do you have left then in terms of the underlying information density. Then I think that will reveal a number of production issues basically.

Last edited:
Thanks!! Do you think that a "professionell Master" could make the track sounds perfect if i will sent him the track as a wav. in its current version?

Thanks!! Do you think that a "professionell Master" could make the track sounds perfect if i will sent him the track as a wav. in its current version?

No, it would be improved, but the underlying issues would be left, so it would end up not competing according to your and the label's expectations, is what I think. I think what can help in a situation like this is basically to go back to the stage when you use filters to evaluate whether the recording is ready for mixing, because I think it is probably not ready for mixing. This evaluation is all about making it as raw sounding as possible so that you can perceive the information density without sun glasses on. The production and recording is a major portion of whether it will hit or not. Sometimes when you are not sure whether the recording is ready for mixing, you can simply just do a rough mix on it and see what comes out. That will give you a very good indication. I hope this helps!!

Last edited:
  • Leave 3db til 0db for your kick and snare and peaks. get some sort of transient recovery tool if you wanna jooin the loudness war. Make sure to compress your percs that you want to be snappy or loose. Sideshain, Sideshain, Sideshain. EQ is all your choice whatever youre going for. Kicks sound good with a bit of distortion.DYNAMIC RANGE IS A GOOD TOOL FOR TALENTED MIXERS. You dont want a brick wall master, it pisses audiophiles off.​

Fuck the loudness war... its destroyed audio quality, and peoples Ears.. if you want loud music.. turn the shit up... I hear tracks that are so loud... you go to half way on the volume slider.. and your ears are bleeding... Get the track sounding nice, full, rich, and present... so that people want to turn it up.. not down...

However there's to reason no not learn how to do mix extremely loud so you can use those skills tastefully. ;)
IE: When everything peaks, just not the entire fucking song. bahaha

Last edited:
Back