time stretching question

drought

hey fp wats up i gotta quick question about time stretching. For example when im chopping a sample in fl studio and say i chop out 4 bars of the sample and send it to fl playlist when i look at it will be over 4 bars and some change. in fl studio do i time stretch it up or down to 4 or 5 bars? basically do i round up or down when its comes to time stretching samples? if any 1 understands wat im sayn any help would be great thank u.

Also why do producers just chop out 2 or 4 or 8 bars of things or loop stuff in 2 or 4 or 8 bars? why dont they use 5 or 6 or 9 etc? can u use odd number of bars?

you may have a tempo mismatch between what you have cut and what your fl project says it is.

it is also important to remember that when counting bars we never use bar 0 but start at bar 1, so the end of bar 4 is on top of the start of the 5th bar

most dance music is based on the idea of powers of 2, so structures tend to be based around 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 bars

when chopping it is logical that you would also use similar structures

there are occasions where the phrase may be 5 or 9 bars long but these are the exception rather than the rule: Mozart, Beethoven, Lennon&McCartney have all created 9 bar phrases, where the 9th bar is the end of the phrase rather than the beginning of a new phrase

bandcoach;49860100[B said:
]you may have a tempo mismatch between what you have cut and what your fl project says it is[/B].

it is also important to remember that when counting bars we never use bar 0 but start at bar 1, so the end of bar 4 is on top of the start of the 5th bar

most dance music is based on the idea of powers of 2, so structures tend to be based around 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 bars

when chopping it is logical that you would also use similar structures

there are occasions where the phrase may be 5 or 9 bars long but these are the exception rather than the rule: Mozart, Beethoven, Lennon&McCartney have all created 9 bar phrases, where the 9th bar is the end of the phrase rather than the beginning of a new phrase

thank you bandcoach for answering, when im time stretching in fl studio should i first have the project tempo the same as the sample that i am using time stretch the sample and then change the tempo to what i want it to be. i also embed the tempo info with sample does that have a factor in it aswell?

Last edited:
You would probably want to have the project tempo set to whatever tempo you want and time stretch the clip to fit that tempo. I don't think embedding the tempo info in the clip will make any difference other than to confuse you if it's not accurate

Back