Tiered membership suggestion

joey tunez

Subliminalz Music Team
I have seen suggestions of creating tiered memberships on fp before, however they are usually suggestion that there be a paid subscription.

rather than have money be the differentiating factor between members, i am suggesting that we have a tiered system based on status.

meaning since this is Futureproducers.com

those that actually produce music should have "full access" heres how it would work under my plan.

non music based people (those with no links to music and don't make music): can view all threads and subcategories just like full access members but are limited in how many links they can put up a month and even how many post can be placed in one thread during a day (this reduces the chance of otherwise helpful threads becoming battlegrounds for flame wars and trolling). similar to new members.

music based members (those with links to music or those that have other business ties to the site such as mods and promoters, record execs and sellers etc): will have full access to the site.

thats pretty much it. at the very least it should help in turning things back to the music around here.

spock_win.gif

.. But it won't work because some twat will just make a bogus soundcloud page. Plus the owners make money from the ads and anything that might restrict who can use the site would put them off doing it.

Last edited:
bog the non music guys down with adds galore.

that guy who makes a bogus music page problem is a possibility, but thats a whole lot to go through just to be able to flame someone lol.

it would never work like that. There are some members on here who don't want to post up their music. There are others who may not currently be making music but who are still big contributors to the site.

That essentially designates 80% of our knowledgeable/experienced/helpful user base as second-rate users. What I mean is that most of the users with insider knowledge and that are actually in the industry do not post their music. Even if I wasn't limited in any way, I wouldn't feel comfortable if I was considered to be in a lower tier even if I know I am as good as anyone else.

For the most part, if everyone has a free account, it's hard to justify different treatment. A paid tier method would be the only way you could give people extra perks without others feeling as if they are not being treated fairly.

I'd feel more comfortable the opposite of what you suggested. A lot of people that promote their music tend to over-do it, so it's better if they couldn't post a ton of links. In reality, if you're posting the same link over and over again, you're pretty much spamming, so it's unnecesary to place limits. I think it's a bad idea to say "you are in a higher tier, and you can post as many links as you want", since it gives the wrong impression.

As of now, I think tiers are not needed. I don't know of any forums that have different tiers. There are some forums that have special badges for members that make donations. Some sites do have extra content for users that pay. The only thing is that there is so much audio information freely available on the internet, that it's hard to offer something that people can't get anywhere else.

the owners make money from the ads and anything that might restrict who can use the site would put them off doing it.

case closed -

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

There are others who may not currently be making music but who are still big contributors to the site.

the site gets ad-revenue...what do the "big contributors" get out of the deal for being "big contributors"???

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

most of the users with insider knowledge and that are actually in the industry do not post their music

RIGHT.

"they" are on a different level

Fp has always been about helping new musicians get started. Besides the crap that you are talking about only really happens in the hip hop forum. As long as the bullshit keeps it self in the hip hop section and doesn't pollute the rest of the site I am all for it. The other sections of the site do not suffer from most of the same crap that the hip hop section does.

sleepy, we've already lost 80% of the people here.

@xabition I agree but most of the civility in the other sections is on account of very light foot traffic in the first place. i wish a lot of them cats would get pushed to the music breakroom or yall would install a more "zero tolerance" policy on threads that go way off topic on 26 page flame wars. I know the mods get a bad rep for being harsh at times but imo you guys are actually pretty lax which is nice, but GS threads get shutdown<--- in jamaican accent for waaaaay less.

There seems to have been a bunch of changes while I was gone so I didn't see a gradual decline in users, but I don't doubt there was. Best thing to do is to report problematic users and/or threads. Unfortunately, I don't frequent the hip hop forum because it's a huge mess and it doesn't mix well with the way that I used to moderate so I just let it be. But, if posts are reported, we always look into it and take action.

There's a bunch of things that we do behind the scenes that go unnoticed but we are always watching. Even going back into the days when Mano owned the site, FP has always been really open to suggestions but with so many opinions we can't act on a lot of things since we have to look at both sides of an argument. But, if you have specific ideas or suggestions, it's always nice to know them because we do read the suggestions and we do apply a lot of things that are suggested.

Back