The secret benefits of mixing in mono

I don't actually mix in mono because panning is a very important part of the process of creating space and width in a mix. However, I do have a small speaker set up in mono, and always check my mixes in mono. Often I do this at regular periods when mixing, checking final mixes and masters this way also.

That was a really well written article... Never really thought about mixing in mono.

Thanks for sharing!

Peace,

J.

So this was a great article. Lot of insight & knowledge. Thank you for sharing. I suppose now I have to setup a center monitor in my chain.

Although it helps to set up a center speaker, you can just switch to mono on both speakers (or turn one off). The great thing about mono, is that there is no "sweet spot". You don't even need both ears to hear what is happening in the mix equally. Since it isn't stereo, every vantage point is going to sound generally the same (aside from refections off walls).

Really helps to focus on other aspects for getting 'separation' between sounds. Good read for those who haven't tried mixing this way before.

I don't actually mix in mono because panning is a very important part of the process of creating space and width in a mix. However, I do have a small speaker set up in mono, and always check my mixes in mono. Often I do this at regular periods when mixing, checking final mixes and masters this way also.

I like this idea, I might have to set up something similar for myself.

Good shit! Only downside is I'm uh have to unplug one of my speakers & my sub everytime then plug em back, but I'm uh definetly try that shit out.

So with this post...There was an option in PT HD to switch your mix to mono..I forgot what its called "pro input monitoring perhaps?" idk exactly. But an associate told me this is essentially mono. But im not understanding how. If mono is one, how is listening to two monitors mono???

i thought i was the only one who thought this! nice! if it doesnt sound good in mono, its definitely not gonna sound good in stereo

I'm definitely going to give this a try, as I'm new to mixing I'm willing to try different approaches to mixing. Thanks for sharing the info. Good Read.

The only reason you shouldn't mix in mono is if there isn't enough space to fit all of your frequencies into a mono space just like the only reason that you would want one sound to occupy the entire frequency spectrum would be if the space wasn't there for it to fit into.

Then of course like was already mentioned, you make your self satisfied by listening to your mix in mono to consider how the current mix will result on a mono system.

Way to over complicate this!!! o_O

Last edited:
I mean Thriller was mixed primarily in mono so that should tell you something right there....but too me you should never use mono as a 100% monitoring tool because you will never get the exact picture of the stereo field which is paramount in contemporary music. With that being said, Mono makes you work harder as an engineer to fit things in the frequency spectrum and in the stereo field so you should at the very least..always CHECK your mix in mono before signing it off. And also alot of real qorld listening enviorments are mono as well

I mean Thriller was mixed primarily in mono so that should tell you something right there....but too me you should never use mono as a 100% monitoring tool because you will never get the exact picture of the stereo field which is paramount in contemporary music. With that being said, Mono makes you work harder as an engineer to fit things in the frequency spectrum and in the stereo field so you should at the very least..always CHECK your mix in mono before signing it off. And also alot of real qorld listening enviorments are mono as well

The track sheet for Thriller shows that every single track was recorded in stereo. I would post a link, but I can't until I have 20 posts.

Last edited:
Back