The New M Audio Venom VA synth (HELLO BEAUTIFUL WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!)

I haven't been able to play with one yet....

but based on the demos I've heard... I highly doubt that it can touch my Virus. And that's what they were going for. They want that German money.

Not gonna happen. I see this thing falling flat. But then again... I haven't touched it yet so we'll see.

Last edited:
i wanna hear what some of y'all have to say about this cause im lookin to get my first synthesizer and this is one of the ones im looking at.

Im surprised they didn't name it "Bacteria". This shit is so lame. The only way I can see an adult buying this is if its for their kids. Nothing special at all, just like what the guy above me said.

I haven't been able to play with one yet....

but based on the demos I've heard... I highly doubt that it can touch my Virus. And that's what they were going for. They want that German money.

Not gonna happen. I see this thing falling flat. But then again... I haven't touched it yet so we'll see.

I doubt very seriously they were going after the Virus. The specs and pricing don't put it into that category. This is something for the Sh-201, Korg R3, etc crowd.

So, is this thing basically able to be used as a plugin? Say, i stick the thing on a stand next to my desk and plug it into my comp via usb and just control it entirely from my DAW/midi controller? Still trying to wrap my head around the VAS world.... sounds interesting though, as far as a low cost "anologish" synth. Anybody know if it can be used the way I described?

I didn't even see this thread, I've been looking at one of these; looks like a pretty fun synth. Obviously not many knobs, but price isn't bad.

I own it check out my impressions:

At first impression when I opened the box it feel quiet sturdy, hard and solid in build. White and clean compared to my 8 year old triton.

Plugged in the usb +power, installed the software and it start working immediatley.

I played with it for a few hours, the knobs feel quiet loose, the on the left hand side, the controller knobs feel harder.

The sounds I feel are quiet unusable. They are quiet dirty, and I found myself trying to tweak them to get sound I wanted.

The keys are a bit bouncy...They felt alright. Not like my triton which is semi weighted. Probably like my micron. I'm used to playing on keys like that so it was alright.

If I was at Guitar center and some guy asked me "Yo Skillz, help me dude which one should I get, soft synths and axiom pro or a Venom.

I'd lean towards the Axiom pro.

But what would trump that is just buying a hardware synth. The Micron destroys the Venom in sound aswell. I have created multiple programs with ease plus it has 150 or so slots for your own programs. The venom has a limitation of additional programs you can save. I haven't been told else wise. Which means you have to edit what you have and write over the sounds. Thats gay. Actually....I'll read up on this and tell you guys if we can save additional sounds into board to save them in the PC environment through Vyzex.

Personally I felt sylenth has quality sounds and you'd be better off buying a M-audio Axiom pro and downloading a few soft synths. Novation V-station, Sylenth, Sytrus etc etc...

I also got the Venom to play sounds on soft synths.

Select bank D USB to HPF and that will allow you play sounds in softsynths.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Sylenth wins hands down on preset sounds.

Tweakability- Venom. It's got a alotta weird shit in it. Nothing like black eyed peas, LMFAO, Pitbull tracks. DOn't expect sharp saw's, sweep leads or anything pro. This shit expects you to fukin program and tweak even further. Nigga fuk that, 48 hours later i'm quiet dissapointed in the board. I'll post a gangsta beat I made wit it, but in regards to commerical sounds or straight sounds that sounds analog...naaa.

I'm afraid to say it but computer software is fuking this synth in the ass with no rubber and the ***** still won't learn and take her pills.

I love my hardware and have jumped back to my triton, micron and fusion straight away for quality presets and edited sounds. I just find myself so dissapoointed that theyre are no trance leads, no reso leads that sweep, lfo controlled bass by mods...

Fuk man. If I had a team of sound engineer's I would approve on commercial sounds, create a board with 2000 sounds, plus another 16gbs of space for samples, and programs. Make the board looks like a Mercedes and call iboard.

I own it check out my impressions:

At first impression when I opened the box it feel quiet sturdy, hard and solid in build. White and clean compared to my 8 year old triton.

Plugged in the usb +power, installed the software and it start working immediatley.

I played with it for a few hours, the knobs feel quiet loose, the on the left hand side, the controller knobs feel harder.

The sounds I feel are quiet unusable. They are quiet dirty, and I found myself trying to tweak them to get sound I wanted.

The keys are a bit bouncy...They felt alright. Not like my triton which is semi weighted. Probably like my micron. I'm used to playing on keys like that so it was alright.

If I was at Guitar center and some guy asked me "Yo Skillz, help me dude which one should I get, soft synths and axiom pro or a Venom.

I'd lean towards the Axiom pro.

But what would trump that is just buying a hardware synth. The Micron destroys the Venom in sound aswell. I have created multiple programs with ease plus it has 150 or so slots for your own programs. The venom has a limitation of additional programs you can save. I haven't been told else wise. Which means you have to edit what you have and write over the sounds. Thats gay. Actually....I'll read up on this and tell you guys if we can save additional sounds into board to save them in the PC environment through Vyzex.

Personally I felt sylenth has quality sounds and you'd be better off buying a M-audio Axiom pro and downloading a few soft synths. Novation V-station, Sylenth, Sytrus etc etc...

I also got the Venom to play sounds on soft synths.

Select bank D USB to HPF and that will allow you play sounds in softsynths.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Sylenth wins hands down on preset sounds.

Tweakability- Venom. It's got a alotta weird shit in it. Nothing like black eyed peas, LMFAO, Pitbull tracks. DOn't expect sharp saw's, sweep leads or anything pro. This shit expects you to fukin program and tweak even further. Nigga fuk that, 48 hours later i'm quiet dissapointed in the board. I'll post a gangsta beat I made wit it, but in regards to commerical sounds or straight sounds that sounds analog...naaa.

I'm afraid to say it but computer software is fuking this synth in the ass with no rubber and the ***** still won't learn and take her pills.

I love my hardware and have jumped back to my triton, micron and fusion straight away for quality presets and edited sounds. I just find myself so dissapoointed that theyre are no trance leads, no reso leads that sweep, lfo controlled bass by mods...

Fuk man. If I had a team of sound engineer's I would approve on commercial sounds, create a board with 2000 sounds, plus another 16gbs of space for samples, and programs. Make the board looks like a Mercedes and call iboard.

Its interesting that you compare it to your Triton because they are both very different machines. Your Triton on one hand was designed to have great presets and feel like a piano but emulate real instruments at the same time. The Venom is attempting to emulate analog synths from the 70s and 80s. They are more different than the same. The Triton being more of a wave table/sampler synth vs the Venom being an analog emulation. that being said I also don't expect the venom to have great preset sounds vs something like well any software synth. I would say this to anyone looking to buy any synth. Know what you are buying before you buy it. Understand the differences that one offers vs the other. And don't buy anything based soley on its preset sounds.

M-Audio was going for a more aggressive sound with the Venom. Check out at about 1 minute into the vid.

Back