The Key Elements That Make a Good Trap Beat

What about EDM trap beats? There are such different elements but some don't normally work well.... some sounds in edm trap types of beats are usually forced, making sounds don't fit very well.

there are many elements but a lot of trap beats include hard snares hard kicks.. brass orch hits crashes fast hi-hat melodies.... bells .. thank me later

I believe at this point you can throw 808 snare/hihat rolls over literally anything and it becomes Trap.

I am getting so sick of the same damn rolls.
No variation in any way, ever, and its pissing me off.

But all you need is 808 percussion, and the cheesiest 90s Trance lead synth sound.
Bang out a half bar one key melody, lay it over the boomiest kicks and snappiest snares ya got, and bam. "Trap" :victory:

urgent, menacing keys/melody
they have to have that urgency to them
the knock has to remain constant/steady
not a lot of crazy chord changes

I believe at this point you can throw 808 snare/hihat rolls over literally anything and it becomes Trap.

nope, because trap is not about the instruments but the progression and the lyrics

the progression use din most trap is iii-IV (e.g. Em-F)

the lyrics are about the trap of living life in the hood and the desire/goal of breaking free of this trap life

I have written several analyses of trap songs here at fp - do a search......

Sure, I was being a little 'jokey', obviously.
But you sounded serious, and then said Trap is about 'progression and lyrics'.

Im not talking about "roots" Trap.
Im talking the recently massively popular definition.
"Festival Trap" lol.
i.e. The shit most people mean when they say 'Trap' now.
Which has recently turned into what I was jokingly defining above, e.g. Snare rolls on anything, 90s Trance leads, etc.

hol up...........I think ol boy is talking about the trap/trance/techno/dubstep remixes type thing they'd play at a festival like "burning man".

Last edited:
without fullylaced coming back to confirm what genre of trap he is talking all genres are on the table

Take any beat.
Add snare rolls.
At least two out of the first ten people that hear it will say "I love Trap."

Back