The Greatest Hip Hop Album of ALL-TIME Finally Getting a Follow-Up After 10 Years!!!!

im1ufo

EDIT: it's actually been more than 10 years haha

To call The Cold Vein 'real hip hop' would be an understatement. The album practically created Underground Hip Hop. Most had given up hope that Cannibal Ox(Vast Aire & Vordul Mega) would ever release a 2nd album.

Not that it even needs a follow-up...this album will always stand the test of time. The lyrics were universal and the production was out of this world(I hope El-P produces the new album!!!! I doubt it though)

Here is what was said about the reunion a few days ago:

the new Cannibal Ox material is going to abide by "that raw, gritty, spiritual, intellectual, futuristic New York [sound]… it sounds progressive, but it sounds old at the same time." And while fans will expect something another "Cold Vein," Vast Aire just wants to make something that challenges the conventions of his genre.

"The pressure is the same for us -- It's just to produce a tight record. It's never like, 'I gotta do something better than "Cold Vein,"'" he says. "We're gonna challenge you to think about the inner city differently. We're gonna challenge you to think about the government, the country, religion, crime… all of these elements, we're gonna force you to think about differently on the new project."

If you've never listened to The Cold Vein you are missing out!!! Know that the album should be heard as a whole and I PROMISE you the effort put into letting it grow on you will be worth it!!!

There is nothing like it. Here is a review I saw on amazon that puts the listening experience into better words than I can:

I'm not completely sure what it is about this album that makes it so great; and that's precisely what makes it so great. As soon as the greatness of something becomes tangible, understandable, it seems to vanish into thin air. It's like discovering how a magic trick works. As soon as the secret is revealed, the mystery and sense of awe, instantly disappear. Thankfully, the greatness of the album is definitely there, but wrapped in a thick layer of secrecy which has thus far, for me, been impenetrable.

My advice to anyone who's heard the snippets and feels it's not for them is to come back a couple of days later and try again. And then, after another day or so, come back yet another time. Continue to do so several times; each time trying to approach the music with a more open mind than before, dissolving any prejudices that may have arisen during previous listens. If, after a few times, you still don't like it, I guess it's not for you. But, if it steadily becomes more and more appealing, realize that you are well on your way to falling in love with one of the greatest and most unique hip-hop albums of all time.

Here is one of my favorite tracks from the 2001 release

Last edited:
Can't forget about "Metal Gear" ( B-Side to the "F-Word" single )

You hear that 808? It's Cannibal!

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

damn I forgot how ill this track is....a beat like this definitely makes me jealous as a producer haha

I'll be happier is Company Flow gets back together for another joint.

... I'll take this for now.

Ha, I thought this was gonna be about Illmatic. Is El-P gonna produce the album too? Just listening to Vast Aire's OX 2010 now

How is that Vast Aire album? I've only heard some of the older stuff

El-P is not going to be producing the new album....not sure who is...kinda worried about the beat selection since they want it to sound 'progressive'

My favorite post-Cold Vein stuff is some straight up classic hip hop sounding stuff...by far my favorite solo track from Vordul Mega:

How is that Vast Aire album? I've only heard some of the older stuff

The Vast Aire album is damn dope, some great production. Wish I could post some YouTube links but FP is being gay and says I don´t have enough posts. But look for Nomad and Thor´s Hammer with Vordul Mega and Raekwon - crazy dope. Oh and 2090 with Double AB - heavy banger.

Excited to hear how this new album is gonna turn out

Breh I was listening to this back in 05' this set the bar. Sickest album since 36th. Still K Rino albums are deeper but both are equally positive.

Back