The future of ny hip hop.....

blacktophero

I know we all have our opinions, but in terms of mainstream success who is bringing the most light to NY hip hop at this moment? I feel its either gotta be Dave east or Young M.A . Say what you want but that smack dvd era of rap might be macking a come back. some of yall may not be familiar.

I have complete respect for Joey Badass and Beast coast. But Joey is only just getting national radio exposure. Not saying he is or isnt better than these guys lyrically, but i dont think he's "hotter" than them at the moment.

Im not a huge fan of A bogey, but i think Don Q is nice. Again i feel like you would have had to like dipset back in the day to apreicate them or east and M.A.

regardless its a good time to be working in NY right now, alot of artist live out here now. Especially in brooklyn alot of stuff is happening out there. I feel as if by the end of next year NY might be in a better spot culturally with music. Hopefully the knicks can do something in basketball by then lol.

do ya have any predictions???

I have no predictions not because I ain't from NY but because NY never left Hip Hop and if anything NY has been/is guilty of adopting other regions sounds and it is evidenced in the lack of regionalism in the mainstream that has coincided with an identity crisis thanks in no small part to the Internet. Main thing NY did was try to impose "rules" on what is/was/isn't Hip Hop as I personally don't think I would've related to Hip Hop if it hadn't went to other cities, states, etc. as much of what defined the history of the music/culture was NY-centric, so much so that the Tri State areas are considered the lost states in Hip Hop.

As for Young M.A. can it be said that she's getting shine due to her openness of her non heteronormative preference as evidenced with artists like Siya?

Last edited:
Most definitely. To be honest its cool to see NY keeping it so NY to let her use that to her advantage. Ive seen parts of the scene of NY and ATL. compared to atl, NY does not support there artist until they defy the odds and start getting some steam. shes definitely in her season right now. Ny has always loved having face front page in the culture. If she were to get that you couldnt deny that she could have an impact on things.
I have no predictions not because I ain't from NY but because NY never left Hip Hop and if anything NY has been/is guilty of adopting other regions sounds and it is evidenced in the lack of regionalism in the mainstream that has coincided with an identity crisis thanks in no small part to the Internet.

As for Young M.A. can it be said that she's getting shine due to her openness of her non heteronormative preference as evidenced with artists like Siya?

Back