The DAW of 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my point of view, Ableton seems to be the 'popular' and 'go to' DAW of 2012.
Does anyone else see this trend happening in todays music scene or is it just me?
I see Ableton EVERYWHERE! All these 'music schools' and 'want to become a producer ads' promote Ableton like crazy
A Daw is a Daw. they all sequence music, they all have their positives and their negatives
And yet.. it seems as though Ableton (from my point of view remember) has risen to the top
Any1 else noticing something similar??
Live has been insanely popular for years. I have been seeing schools, certifications ect for it for a long time.

FL Studio by a landslide.

Why? Because every producer who once used it who's got a Mac still uses some wierd hybrid process to run it on their Mac other than the ones who settle for Reason, Ableton, or Logic and whine about what's lacking while pretending to be happy with their "upgrade".

It's sound is dominant in the music world right now.

Ableton has Skrillex for ambitious users to look up to.
Logic and Pro Tools has guys who use tons of outboard gear.
But as far as "in the box" producers in the game...FL Studio hands down by a landslide. Majority of the FL guys(Lex, Tone P, Kardiak, Kane, ect)have Macs all around them, still manage to soley work in FL. That says alot.

I've spent the entire time I've been on a Mac looking for an alternative and come to realize the guys who jump ship more than likely never utilized all the features of FL in the 1st place. I'm not even being biased, i don't want to use FL on my iMac with maxed out Ram, that's working backwards IMO, but I'm seeing why others do more and more.

The arguement against the program is FL makes things "easy"...why would anyone want them to be "hard"? The arguement against it kind of proves it's worthy of it's place in the game.

the guys who jump ship more than likely never utilized all the features of FL in the 1st place.

probably...

but HONESTLY...who uses ALL of the features of ANY audio app?

a D.A.W. is VAST

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

The arguement against the program is FL makes things "easy"...

all them arrogant-asses out there are HOLLYWOOD.

easy women, easy money, easy software - there's a time and place for EVERYTHING

gonna have to give my vote to Reaper. been using it for almost a year now and not only is the workflow excellent, the interface is attractive and the mixer is perfect. my only complaint (and it's a pretty big issue for me) is the crashing. in general i have no issues, and it never crashes on its own, but it doesn't "like" certain vsts, and will crash without fail whenever i use them in reaper.

Which ones? I've never had any particular VST crashing problems in REAPER...

FL Studio by a landslide.

Why? Because every producer who once used it who's got a Mac still uses some wierd hybrid process to run it on their Mac other than the ones who settle for Reason, Ableton, or Logic and whine about what's lacking while pretending to be happy with their "upgrade".

It's sound is dominant in the music world right now.

Ableton has Skrillex for ambitious users to look up to.
Logic and Pro Tools has guys who use tons of outboard gear.
But as far as "in the box" producers in the game...FL Studio hands down by a landslide. Majority of the FL guys(Lex, Tone P, Kardiak, Kane, ect)have Macs all around them, still manage to soley work in FL. That says alot.

I've spent the entire time I've been on a Mac looking for an alternative and come to realize the guys who jump ship more than likely never utilized all the features of FL in the 1st place. I'm not even being biased, i don't want to use FL on my iMac with maxed out Ram, that's working backwards IMO, but I'm seeing why others do more and more.

The arguement against the program is FL makes things "easy"...why would anyone want them to be "hard"? The arguement against it kind of proves it's worthy of it's place in the game.

Every producer that used to use FL Studio and is using a Mac with Bootcamp VMWare Fusion to run it is because they're used to the workflow. It's better for them, not better because it better.

It's sound is not dominant. No DAW has a sound.

Choosing Reason or Logic Pro is not "settling". By definition to settle for something means to fail. I've yet to see Hans Zimmer, Trent Reznor or any other the real "Big Dogs" use FL Studio.

Skrillex uses Ableton for the same reason everyone else picks it. Because it's easy to learn and use.

Logic does not have guys who run tons of outboard gear. Did you even do any kind of research before you posted? Lady Gaga's producer RedOne use Logic, a laptop and some headphones. Zero plugins or outboard gear. Even when he's in a big studio. Everything is ITB.

No, FL Studio does not have more ITB producers. You're just partial to FL Studio so you named the ones that do use it.

You obviously haven't spent enough time on a Mac or you're just plain inexperience to know the difference. Who's jumping ship back to FL Studio? I can give you a list of famous die hard users who swear by Logic or Pro Tools. And trust me, it will fill up an entire page.

FL Studio is a good program, don't get me wrong. But it is FAR from being the holy grail of DAWs as you make it out to be. Get a little bit more experience under your belt and you'll see what I'm talking about.

this is Reason number one problem... it is always... in the "future" Reason will do this and/or that... how about today!!!

how long before omnisphere, kontakt, reaktor, east/west, trillian, wave, etc will become Rack Extensions... i know... in the "future"... but today... i could use all the above vsti in fl studio, ableton live, cubase, reaper, DP, logic, etc..

personally... i think Reason users are in "denial"...

but... i do agree!!!

Resistance is futile B*i*t*c*h*e*s!

LOL...its all about the future right? But the thing about reason is you really never needed any vsts to begin with. They are a bonus. The capabilities in the box are the building block for all the VSTs anyway. The problem is in the idea of "more is better". Name ALMOST any VST and the people with the know-how can emulate it Reason.

LOL...its all about the future right? But the thing about reason is you really never needed any vsts to begin with. They are a bonus. The capabilities in the box are the building block for all the VSTs anyway. The problem is in the idea of "more is better". Name ALMOST any VST and the people with the know-how can emulate it Reason.

I agree 100% with this. It's been my arguement for years. Reason doesn't need them because in the hands of the right person it can emulate any vst.

i used to love using FL for making tunes because i was able to work so fast in it, but the mixer was the biggest reason i went to reaper. i record everything through a yamaha mixer and changed my soundcard only to find out it doesnt support asio. that basically ruled out recording in FL so tried reaper and the same setup worked without any problems.
also i had problems with plugins not working in FL when they were perfect in reaper. i eventually had enough of FL and stopped using it but i still have it installed so i can access old projects and patches.

its all about what you use and how you use it to your advantage. I personally like Ableton a lot because of the control I have over my samples and how everything sequences tempo wise as well. There is nothing better than ableton daw wise right now to me.

Another feature of Ableton people rarely talk about is the ability to take the groove from any track. So if you hear a swing that you like, or some off-quantize Cali beat, you can save a lot of time by just dragging it in live, right-click and extract groove. Now you can drop that groove on any audio or midi file.

Last edited:
Every producer that used to use FL Studio and is using a Mac with Bootcamp VMWare Fusion to run it is because they're used to the workflow. It's better for them, not better because it better.

It's sound is not dominant. No DAW has a sound.

Choosing Reason or Logic Pro is not "settling". By definition to settle for something means to fail. I've yet to see Hans Zimmer, Trent Reznor or any other the real "Big Dogs" use FL Studio.

Skrillex uses Ableton for the same reason everyone else picks it. Because it's easy to learn and use.

Logic does not have guys who run tons of outboard gear. Did you even do any kind of research before you posted? Lady Gaga's producer RedOne use Logic, a laptop and some headphones. Zero plugins or outboard gear. Even when he's in a big studio. Everything is ITB.

No, FL Studio does not have more ITB producers. You're just partial to FL Studio so you named the ones that do use it.

You obviously haven't spent enough time on a Mac or you're just plain inexperience to know the difference. Who's jumping ship back to FL Studio? I can give you a list of famous die hard users who swear by Logic or Pro Tools. And trust me, it will fill up an entire page.

FL Studio is a good program, don't get me wrong. But it is FAR from being the holy grail of DAWs as you make it out to be. Get a little bit more experience under your belt and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1. I'm currently using Motu BPM, Machfive 3 soundbanks inside, and an MPC 2kxl and midi keyboard as controllers. Bass guitar on deck if needed. Plenty of time spent on a Mac, bruh. Dudes don't even know why I'd combine those programs and use nothing else. I could write a book on Reason, don't know too much more than simple tasks in FL, just alot of "simple tasks in FL" can become advanced in other DAWs. I know every in and out of Pro Tools, that program may as well be etched into the back of my hand(BTW, Pro Tools woulda won Daw of 2004 by a landslide).

2. Everyone can name 1 person doing something different in a program. Redone is your "Logic savior", good for you. Most Logic users in/out the industry are using tons of other gear, live instruments, a buncha AU plugs that might as well be running in any other program, or ONLY USING LOGIC making $99 casio keyboard sounding beats that don't end up on records. Redone happens to have a good "keyboardy" sound, so Logic works out good for him(no diss, Redone is the shyt, but that program fits HIS STYLE well, same as I said of Skrillex and Ableton).

3. Fl most certainly has a sound. The timeshift in the step sequencer, some of the kits/samples(sure, you can load them in edison, export them as 16 bit .wav files and load them in other DAWs, but they're native to FL). Instruments/patches within FL have very distinctive sounds. Every DAW has distinct things like these. Any novice should recognize these things, yet you challenge experience under my belt? man, please, lol.

I didn't answer the question of "which DAW is best", or even "Which DAW has producers making the BEST music right now". Both would get different answers from me based on my opinion than FL. We were asked about the DAW of 2012. Why wouldn't my answer be the DAW responsible for the most records FACTUALLY being heard by ME(I don't know what you listen to). Why wouldn't it be the DAW used to produce most of the records talked about on this site in 2012? Why wouldn't it be the DAW that producers we continuously talk about up here use?

Every DAW has it's own distinct sounds within the program, they are smothered and separated by key factors. Adding more plug ins, sounds that are universal from 1 DAW to another(ex. 808 kits, yet, I can even tell an FL "Vintage kit" from Goldbaby 808s, go figure), what you bring to the mix, instruments, samples, vocals, ect. brought in from other sources.

If you just use Reason's Factory bank, someone's gonna recognize the patches and know what was done. So back to my statement that "FL's sound is dominant'...There is a distinct sound people are currently going for in music. The most popular tool for acheiving this sound IS MOST DFINETLY FL Studio, so even if you take the 20 minutes it takes to do some shyt in Logic/Reason that is done within seconds in FL's step sequencer, you're still doing all that work to achieve the sound native to FL's sequencing.

If you has asked me what instrument plug in was dominant in music right now, I woulda said Nexus, I don't even touch that plug. No more/less partial to it than FL. You got me f**ked up, I'm "partial" to MTV Music Generator on a PS2 so I can save songs on a 32mb gamecard and sample from CDs. I just run with whatever's convenient beyond that.

This was a poularity contest, don't be mad at me for calling out the prom queen, I ain't gotta be f**kin her(or even like her that much)to know she's the most popular candidate.

Dudes trip me out thinking I say left field shyt with no foundation because it goes over their heads. Maybe when you get more experience, bruh. :cheers:

Last edited:
1. I'm currently using Motu BPM, Machfive 3 soundbanks inside, and an MPC 2kxl and midi keyboard as controllers. Bass guitar on deck if needed. Plenty of time spent on a Mac, bruh. Dudes don't even know why I'd combine those programs and use nothing else. I could write a book on Reason, don't know too much more than simple tasks in FL, just alot of "simple tasks in FL" can become advanced in other DAWs. I know every in and out of Pro Tools, that program may as well be etched into the back of my hand(BTW, Pro Tools woulda won Daw of 2004 by a landslide).

2. Everyone can name 1 person doing something different in a program. Redone is your "Logic savior", good for you. Most Logic users in/out the industry are using tons of other gear, live instruments, a buncha AU plugs that might as well be running in any other program, or ONLY USING LOGIC making $99 casio keyboard sounding beats that don't end up on records. Redone happens to have a good "keyboardy" sound, so Logic works out good for him(no diss, Redone is the shyt, but that program fits HIS STYLE well, same as I said of Skrillex and Ableton).

3. Fl most certainly has a sound. The timeshift in the step sequencer, some of the kits/samples(sure, you can load them in edison, export them as 16 bit .wav files and load them in other DAWs, but they're native to FL). Instruments/patches within FL have very distinctive sounds. Every DAW has distinct things like these. Any novice should recognize these things, yet you challenge experience under my belt? man, please, lol.

I didn't answer the question of "which DAW is best", or even "Which DAW has producers making the BEST music right now". Both would get different answers from me based on my opinion than FL. We were asked about the DAW of 2012. Why wouldn't my answer be the DAW responsible for the most records FACTUALLY being heard by ME(I don't know what you listen to). Why wouldn't it be the DAW used to produce most of the records talked about on this site in 2012? Why wouldn't it be the DAW that producers we continuously talk about up here use?

Every DAW has it's own distinct sounds within the program, they are smothered and separated by key factors. Adding more plug ins, sounds that are universal from 1 DAW to another(ex. 808 kits, yet, I can even tell an FL "Vintage kit" from Goldbaby 808s, go figure), what you bring to the mix, instruments, samples, vocals, ect. brought in from other sources.

If you just use Reason's Factory bank, someone's gonna recognize the patches and know what was done. So back to my statement that "FL's sound is dominant'...There is a distinct sound people are currently going for in music. The most popular tool for acheiving this sound IS MOST DFINETLY FL Studio, so even if you take the 20 minutes it takes to do some shyt in Logic/Reason that is done within seconds in FL's step sequencer, you're still doing all that work to achieve the sound native to FL's sequencing.

If you has asked me what instrument plug in was dominant in music right now, I woulda said Nexus, I don't even touch that plug. No more/less partial to it than FL. You got me f**ked up, I'm "partial" to MTV Music Generator on a PS2 so I can save songs on a 32mb gamecard and sample from CDs. I just run with whatever's convenient beyond that.

This was a poularity contest, don't be mad at me for calling out the prom queen, I ain't gotta be f**kin her(or even like her that much)to know she's the most popular candidate.

Dudes trip me out thinking I say left field shyt with no foundation because it goes over their heads. Maybe when you get more experience, bruh. :cheers:

Wow I had a good chuckle at the poorly researched information you gave:

Ok here we go:

1. /golfclap

2. Logic without plugins has keyboardy sounds? That comment shows your lack of production knowledge. VSTs like Massive (which I use) makes synthesis easier for the common person to make great sounds. Logic is perfectly capable of making any sound imaginable if you have the know-how.

3. For the last time, FL Studio does NOT have a sound, no DAW does... lmao. Any factory sound FL Studio has can be recreated with any other DAW. I AM Challenging the experience under your belt. My 15 years against your... I dunno you tell me.

Unless you can post statistics about FL Studio being responsible for the most records out today you can't use that argument. I suggest you subscribe to Future Music Magazine, Computer Music, watch some of the online lectures at Digital Labz. For every ONE FL Studio user, there are 5 Logic, Cubase, and Ableton users.

Good try though, too bad you're up against someone who lives and breathes music. You actually might have stood a chance with that one. LMAO.

It's used the most on this site because 95% of the kids here are new to music production, and since they have little-to-no knowledge they figure they'd just copy they're favorite artist.

NO DAW HAS IT'S OWN DISTINCT SOUND. It'd be different if you played the included demos from each DAW, then it would be easy to pick which one was which. But besides that, it's all 1's and 0's.

If you heard two popular songs made with FL Studio and they indeed had the same "sound" it can only be because one artist copied the other artists production techniques or they used the same mixing/mastering engineers.

Nope sorry, you're wrong AGAIN about the Reason factory banks. Would you like a test? I'll post video links of artists from every genre of dance music and you pick out which ones where made in Reason and which ones where made with FL Studio. I can use a good laugh.

I need more experience? Watch it kid, don't test dogs bigger than you. I'm not a 10 year old.

And in closing, don't expect to be taken seriously if you end every other sentence with "bruh", music theory and production is very complicated and no one will take you seriously if you can't even demonstrate a basic understanding of the English language.

Last edited:
She may not be the most popular, but i'll stick with my girl....Cubase

FL studio is really the most used DAW from what ive seen. At least in hip hop

i could take the time and go through the stats, but if i go to the billboard Hip hop charts i can firmly say without looking it up that 75% of those beats were made in FL

i could take the time and go through the stats, but if i go to the billboard Hip hop charts i can firmly say without looking it up that 75% of those beats were made in FL

You're probably right. I have never tried FL Studio out, but i mainly just use my hardware, with Cubase as a recorder. At this stage, i am not trying to bounce DAW to DAW looking for that perfect place. FL Studio def has a large following though.

Its just easy to use, like FL Studio was the first introduction i ever saw to the production world. And i think that goes for a lot of producers, hence why its so popular

Wow I had a good chuckle at the poorly researched information you gave:

Ok here we go:

1. /golfclap

2. Logic without plugins has keyboardy sounds? That comment shows your lack of production knowledge. VSTs like Massive (which I use) makes synthesis easier for the common person to make great sounds. Logic is perfectly capable of making any sound imaginable if you have the know-how.

3. For the last time, FL Studio does NOT have a sound, no DAW does... lmao. Any factory sound FL Studio has can be recreated with any other DAW. I AM Challenging the experience under your belt. My 15 years against your... I dunno you tell me.

Unless you can post statistics about FL Studio being responsible for the most records out today you can't use that argument. I suggest you subscribe to Future Music Magazine, Computer Music, watch some of the online lectures at Digital Labz. For every ONE FL Studio user, there are 5 Logic, Cubase, and Ableton users.

Good try though, too bad you're up against someone who lives and breathes music. You actually might have stood a chance with that one. LMAO.

It's used the most on this site because 95% of the kids here are new to music production, and since they have little-to-no knowledge they figure they'd just copy they're favorite artist.

NO DAW HAS IT'S OWN DISTINCT SOUND. It'd be different if you played the included demos from each DAW, then it would be easy to pick which one was which. But besides that, it's all 1's and 0's.

If you heard two popular songs made with FL Studio and they indeed had the same "sound" it can only be because one artist copied the other artists production techniques or they used the same mixing/mastering engineers.

Nope sorry, you're wrong AGAIN about the Reason factory banks. Would you like a test? I'll post video links of artists from every genre of dance music and you pick out which ones where made in Reason and which ones where made with FL Studio. I can use a good laugh.

I need more experience? Watch it kid, don't test dogs bigger than you. I'm not a 10 year old.

And in closing, don't expect to be taken seriously if you end every other sentence with "bruh", music theory and production is very complicated and no one will take you seriously if you can't even demonstrate a basic understanding of the English language.

That shows your own pompous and arrogant traits.

"can't learn anything from a guy who can loosen up his tie and take off his suit jacket before the days over".

I'm aware you're not 10. You're old and stubborn to the point you don't realize half of what you're saying is compliant with what I just said...bruh...excuse me, BROTHER. Or should I not refer to you in any friendly way whatsoever because we're having a civilized debate over the internet, so we can't be cool with each other in any shaoe form or fashion? lol.

To quote myself....
"Every DAW has it's own distinct sounds within the program, they are smothered and separated by key factors. Adding more plug ins, sounds that are universal from 1 DAW to another(ex. 808 kits, yet, I can even tell an FL "Vintage kit" from Goldbaby 808s, go figure), what you bring to the mix, instruments, samples, vocals, ect. brought in from other sources."

Of course once you get to tweaking, mixing, adding sounds from other sources, ect. your sound blends to the point it's source in unrecognized. You've failed to realize in my prior post I was saying FL is used in current music to the point it isn't being tweaked, mixed, manipulated to the point it's unrecognizable. Even if using another Daw/module to create music, if you practice the basic functions found in FL that appear across the boards in songs created in FL, you're making an "FL Sound".

Let's pretend people never implemented "swing" into their drums to emulate the "sound" of an "MPC". The "MPC Sound" was once as popular as the "FL Sound" regardless of what you used to achieve it.

Apparently you're trying to convince me you've never heard a song and recognized enough patches from the triton extreme as well as the drumkit used in tact to the point you knew a triton extreme was the primary equipment used to make the track? What about the Fantom? Motif? So why not Logic, FL, Pro Tools or Reason? Even things like elements left from the way a sample is stretched,chopped and pitched can give away what program was used to do so. Certain plug ins native to specific DAWs like the Air Dynamic delay even give away the source of recordings. You gonna tell me you can't tell the difference between Autotune and Logic's Tuner(can't remember the name of the plug, but has a distinct sound). If you can't agree with this paragraph, I'll gracefully bow out knowing you simply don't have the ear to hear these things. But I'd expect more from someone with 15 years of experience.

Again, once things are tweaked, manipulated and mixed, you don't recognize sources as easily...but now we're pretending that songs on the radio are made from tweaked patches.

You really couldn't tell that "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" was made in FL? You couldn't tell Scott Storch primarily used a Motif? C'mon Bruh...I mean brother...pal...buddy? Sorry, i'm sure now I won't be taken seriously, lol. :cheers:

Just a lighthearted convo, biggest mistake you can make is taking me too serious, but I'd hope you "know enough" to agree with this post.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Agreed. Just not pressed enough to win a net debate to do a google fueled term paper on FL Studio's use in the music world to satisfy people who tell me I need to "research" more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back