The Big Dilemma

Drethe5th

contact @ i80media.com
Gear is always nice to buy. You create with it, you show it off, you upgrade and modify it. You spend hours every week watching YouTube and reading Mags on gear and production.

Possibly the most asked question on this forum is "how do I make my vocals sound like a major label artist" OR. "How do I make my mix sound like a major producer" ?

The next set of questions is "what microphone does ......use?" OR "What VST did DJ-$#^*! use on that hit.

If more people spent time researching the need for acoustic sound treatment, and less time chasing the newest Mic-of-the-Month , they might reach the audio goals they aspire. That new mic wont give you a pro mix. It will give you good vocals to go in your BAD mix.

Ironically treating a room costs half as much less than most of the gear we chase after, yet has 2 x impact on the final audio product ! A room can be done properly for around $500, your favorite preamp or mic is $1000.

Good point, although I think it's generally about learning your gear (not that it'd make fixing your room's acoustics any less important!) instead of thinking that next piece will magically fix everything. Recording & mixing properly is still, even in the age of having a plugin & preset for everything, very much a skill & experience based thing.

Having a proper room is only as good as your ear is. Same as it useless to use a compressor unless you can actually hear what it is doing to compress properly.
A good ear will translate the mix to many systems and base the mix on all of the system it is heard on, There must be a balance not one or the other

Back