The Art of experimental/instrumental beats.

islight

First off I will confess that I am not well educated regarding the evolution beat producing. I mainly listen to other stuff. But I am really liking some of the experimentalism and freedom of artists like Hudson Mohowk, Flylo, Dilla and others especially on BrainFeeder crew.
My main problem is I am finding it almost harder to experiment(and sound good) than it is to be conventional. It is almost like I need to know the rules before I can break them. Sure its easy to experiment and have a loose set of style. But I sound like junk.

Do you think all these guys studied Dr. Dre back in the day to get where they are at? Or can an artist rely on there Nature alone to eventually produce music there own unique style.

I have been at this for 2 years now and I am finally settleing on the fact that beat making is the most fun despite listening mainly to other genres. I hope to carve my own niche one day but am looking for pointers where I could start. Its not like can do covers of this style or anything.
Thanks

It is almost like I need to know the rules before I can break them.

If you feel it run w/ it.

Do you think all these guys studied Dr. Dre back in the day to get where they are at? Or can an artist rely on there Nature alone to eventually produce music there own unique style.

I believe everyone has studied Dre to some extent. He's uh legend, hands down. Is that the sole factor that manifested their success? I think not, but I do believe no one is just uninfluenced, or whatever you're hinting at. Lol you don't just wake up & start producing music, there's obviously things you have to learn. Some people have no idea what a beat or a bar is, but by studying the music, such as Dre's for example, they subconsciously know without the textbook definition. We could go all over the place & I'm sure this thread will.. Won't doubt it & I wouldn't doubt that those guys you mentioned studied Dre. But for that to be what got them to where they're at now? It's disrespectful. Point blank. Regardless of the intention. Obviously there's much more to success then that. This reminds me alot about this thought I wrote down the other day, basically about how music is oxygen. There has ta be something to create from. Music in many ways is like the dynamic exchange of oxygen & carbon dioxide.

You should really ask yourself them questions though. No one else can answer em for you. I promise.

Looking back at this question I am realizing that there is less to worry about as I am still a newb. Ive spent most of my two years learning sound design and how to use reason 5. Arrangement is not my thing and it will probably come if I keep at. My influences will certainly help me and even finishing cheesy tutorials from Boy in a Band are shedding light that I am clueless how to arrange even simple dance tracks. So everything is helping in a way. Thanks

Hey guys if you are an aspiring or up and coming hip hop artist you need to check out w.w.w.djknickg.com to hear some of the hottest high quality instrumentals that you are guaranteed to love. You put a lot of time and passion into your lyrics so you need a beat maker and instrumentals that have that same level of passion as well. DJ Knick G has transformed songs from duds to hits. Everyday you wait your falling behind. Do yourself a favor and check out the site today to find exactly what your looking for!

Back