The Absurd Literalism of Prosecutors Using Rap Lyrics To Build Cases

Brings new meaning to "don't talk it unless you live it", lol. Maybe you should never talk it if there's ever a chance of you living it. Beiber sings to chicks, they got nothing on him. He can shoot a guy tomorrow and walk away scott free...but let Lil Wayne J-Walk...it's gonna be because he was high out of his mind and leaving a crime scene, and they will plant a gun on him, lol. :cheers:

What's worse is when they take it a step further and blame an entire medium. This is discussed in Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. As if a medium should be judged for the content people deliver through it. The same way games are violent, tv is filled with sex, and books make you smarter.

In a way, this is how a lot of musical judgement in our own community comes from. When I say I'm not an EDM fan, I understand there are probably EDM tracks I like. But it's easier for me to classify an entire medium as something I'm less favorable towards.

Money quote: "Black music has often been taken literally because doing so confirmed fears among the kind of people who wanted their fears confirmed, and also because denying its figurativeness was a convenient way of denying its intellect".

Last edited by a moderator:
I see both sides of the argument. I almost never take rap lyrics seriously as fact. If I did half of the rappers out here would be pablo escobar with a body count that equals to Stalin. However when some rappers give a little bit too intimate details about a crime that was committed and that info was something that only could've been known by someone who was there then it would be foolish for the police not to act on it. I guess the happy medium is rap about whatever you want, but if you've actually done something illegal.(Like a murder, robbery, etc...) Don't go into details about it.

Back