technics 1200 output

DigitalKillaz

hello guys,

quick question:

I bought a technics 1200 yesterday, I want to put some vinyl on youtube...

I have a domestic integrated cd/amp and I was hoping i could plug into this then back out to my laptop and digitize.

The inputs on the stereo are line in, tape in and MD in.

When I connect the turntable to any of these inputs the output is really low... I have to turn the volume nearly all the way up just to get any volume...

I remember hi-fi seperate amplifiers used to have a dedicated phono input... maybe I need this kind of amp? or perhaps if I get a mixer and connect the 1200 to the mixer, mixer to stereo?

Or maybe I bought a dodgy turntable? : )

I haven't done anything like this for years, any help appreciated...

A mixer with RCA inputs should work (but it may still be pretty quiet). You can buy a small standalone TT preamp, which is probably what you need (TT output is much lower than line level). Check Radio Shack if you don't want to spend a lot.

GJ

The inputs on the stereo are line in, tape in and MD in.

When I connect the turntable to any of these inputs the output is really low... I have to turn the volume nearly all the way up just to get any volume...

I remember hi-fi seperate amplifiers used to have a dedicated phono input... maybe I need this kind of amp?

Yep, you need a phono preamp. There's plenty of them available for around $25-$60.

hello again guys... thanks for the help so far... i'm still trying to fix this...

so i bought a cheap phono pre-amp on ebay (i'm in the uk, we dont have radioshack) but when i connect it to my main amp i get serious "hum" i connect the turntable to the preamp and get a nice loud signal but still with the "hum"... the earth cable is connected to the (main) amp but still no good... so either the amp is faulty (possible its brand new but cheap) or the turntable is faulty (again, possible because the earth cable is very short like its been snapped off, possibly coming loose internally?)

So, my question is... is there usually a kind of mains hum when you plug in a preamp (that is not connected to anything) into the main amp? perhaps that is the un-earthed noise that is present until you connect an earthed device?

Or, should the signal from the preamp be clean?

Or maybe i'm missing something here? From memory, I know the signal from a record deck isn't as clean as from say, a cd player but this is serious hum that needs to be killed...

thanks for your interest...

---------- Post added 11-23-2012 at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-17-2012 at 05:13 AM ----------

in case anybody is interested...

I had the preamp and (stereo) amp connected to the same power outlet... the turntable connected to a different power outlet on a different wall... i took the preamp and connected it to the same power outlet as the turntable and problem solved...

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply; I just saw this today. Yeah, you had what is called a "ground hum" issue, which can happen when you have a bunch of gear plugged into different (or sometimes the same!) outlets, due to the wonderful complexities of electricity and electronics design. If you come across something like this again, and can't solve it by changing plugs around or adding ground adaptors, there is a product called the "Hum X" that can eliminate the issue.

GJ

Back