Technical Support

ThaIllest

Hello All,

I am an amateur producer currently having some technical issues producing and need some help. I use Maschine Software with external VST's and I am encountering multiple hurdles effecting my music production. I am learning to be more technically saavy but I do need some help with some internal/external issues.

The hardware:
PC w/ Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS
AMD A10-5800k APU with radeon(tm) hd graphics 3.8GHZ
16 GB RAM
Tannoy Reveal 601a Monitors
Maschine MK2
M-Audio Axiom 61
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
SB Audigy Digital Audio Interface

The Software:
Maschine 2.2
Native Instruments Komplete 8
External VST's most 64 bit
Sylenth and 32 bit VST's bridged through jBridger

Issue 1 (computer crashing, delay, temporary freezing)
I am constantly freezing or crashing when I use between than 3 to 4 groups (48-64 sounds) within maschine. I try and use mostly the komplete VST's due to the fact if i use too many external VST's it will crash. I don't use any of my external effects either because of crash issue. I try and limit the amount of sounds/effects I am using but I would like to create more complex sounds with multiple instruments and external effects in which seems my computer will not allow for it. So this leads me to question:
-Should I purchase a new processor? More Ram? Better Soundcard?
-What are some recommendations for processors under $500 with good computing power?
-Are satellite processors like UAD 2 beneficial to increase computer production resources?

Issue 2 (latency, distortion, fuzz)
This might be the more frustrating of my issues as even when I feel I am on the right track, with limited instruments/samples/sounds I am running into sound issues whether it be minor midi latency, fuzz, distortion, pops, clicks. The sales guy at the music store mentioned it might help to purchase an external sound card and I have noticed a slight improvement upon buying the focusrite scarlett 2i4, however I still feel my sound output is not 100% as I can still hear the minor fuzz or distortion. These issues occur when I am playing instruments and also playing back tracks that I have already created.

I am stuck at the moment as every time I try and build momentum producing a track I always run into technical difficulties at the wrong time. Does anyone have any advice? :cry:

First thing that comes to mind is that it can be a lot of issues causing your problems.
Don't start buying random stuff before you know what is causing the problem.
Does you computer act the same, freezing up and all , under load of the cpu?
You could try and download prime95 to put your cpu under load.
Prime95 download version 28.40 (make sure that you stop prime95. right click, stop something I think. You should see the load on your cpu go to 100% when on and run back to idle when stopped. You can monitor load in the taskmanger, described further below)
Keep a look at cpu temperatures while doing that though. Somewhere around 70 degrees to 80 should be safe, but differs for every cpu. Though, all new cpus have a fale safe that just makes your cpu crash and reboot when overheated.
Use coretemp to monitor your temps. Core Temp
A quick google tells me the max operating temp is 74 degrees. I somehow don't believe that for a quadcore. Googling a bit further, they tell me that software is not able to properly report temperatures. Could be a motherboard issue not giving the right temps through with their sensors. Although, software usually is off, I got good experiences with core temp. In the bios, temp readings are usually better. Best is to physically measure it with a thermometer that goes to a 100 degrees celcius. First try coretemp and see what it reads, make sure you're not too far off of 74 degrees. If you're in doubt, you could try speedfan to report temps.
It could also be a faulty memory dimm. Run some memory diagnostic tool.
Diagnosing memory problems on your computer
MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool
4 Free Memory Test Programs (Updated January 2015)

A tool like CPUZ will also give you some info about what your cpu, mem and mobo are doing.
CPU-Z CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

It could be your memory timings not being properly set or having a faulty dimm (broken after time). It could be your cpu that's not set up properly. Motherboards mostly run on everything automatic nowadays and in the old days, stuff usually didn't run nicely on automatic and you had to adjust stuff in the bios. It could be stuff has been resetted in the bios. You could make a screen shot of your cpuz of the cpu and memory tab and post it here, or post a link, as you probably can't link or put up pics or youtubes. You can link being creative with using (point) instead of .

It could be your power supply, although, that usually ends up in random weirdness. Crashes, stuff not working properly, etc. That usually doesn't limit itself to being under load.

You could run a cpu test. Like they talk about in this link How can I test my computer motherboard and CPU for failures?

Amd system monitor AMD System Monitor

Also, when almost hitting a crash, could you pull up the task manager and take a look what the load is on your mem and cpu? It's under the performance tab of your task manager.

These are just a few things that could be causing your problem. Could also be your sound card being broken and not handling well under load.
Could also be a driver issue, somewhere. Cpu, mem, sound, whatever calculations, etc. Could also be a motherboard issue or other hardware causing it. There's too many factors that come with computer problems.

Try my suggestions and come back with news! Good luck! :D

Last edited:
For latency issues download Asio4all. A lot of software cannot handle multiple drivers and asio makes it easy by combining multiple drivers. Download asio and set the asio as your default and that will fix all latency issues. I have never used Maschine so I can't help you there but 16gb of ram is more than enough. The program most likely only lets you use so much of the 16. Rick

Back