Super noobish synthesizer question (recording)

dactyl

I have worked in the box for the year I've been learning production, and I'm at a point where I would like to get a hardware analog synthesizer. I've literally never touched a physical synthesizer in my life, so I have some noobish questions.

Firstly, the only amplifier I have is a guitar amp, which I heard could be damaged by a synth, and I really just want the synth to be part of my bedroom studio. Can I just plug the synthesizer into my audio interface (focusrite 2i2) on my computer and play through my studio monitors without causing damage? Secondly, what do I need to record audio from the synthesizer into my DAW? I'm looking at the Bass Station II, and I see it has a USB jack, but I am under the impression that is just for MIDI? Would I just plug the synthesizer Line Output into my audio interface and record audio that way? I guess I'm really asking the same question twice here, just for two different purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Get a balanced Jack to jack and plug it straight into your 2i2.
yep. USB midi.

Bass station is cool. Limited but cool - friend of mine has one and he uses it on pretty much every track along with the MicroKorg he bought shortly after.
He has both hooked up via midi into Ableton with an APC20 controlling that.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Any other analog synths you would recommend in the sub $1,000 price range (i don't mind buying used)? I'm also considering the Minibrute or possibly a Mopho. Part of me is considering breaking down and just getting the Moog Sub 37, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money.

Last edited:
As an addendum to waht I'mNoGuru said, yes, most of us usually record synths just via plugging them into an audio interface. Synths output a line level signal, which is what the interface is designed for - guitar amps, on the other hand, are, well, designed for guitar-level signals, which is much lower in level. So yeah, I guess it's possible to damage an amp that way - then again, I've done it a gazillion times, and unless you really crank the levels & keep the synth's master output relatively low it's probably gonna be ok. Whether or not it'll sound any good is another thing, but it's worth trying.

I'd probably take a look at the brand new Moog Mother-32 & Korg's MS-20 Mini. The Minibrute is cool, I have one, but admittedly it's my least favourite synth for now - that's preference, though, not because it sucks. I just have other synths that tend to get used before it does :) The Mopho I haven't used very much, but do buy the keyboard version, as the module pretty much needs a software editor - and that takes away half the fun (then again, the module can be occasionally had for peanuts).

Also at some point you'll probably realize that hardware synths are fun whether or not they're analog or not :)

I've done a some research and listening to YouTube demos after reading you guys' suggestions, and I'm very much considering the MS-20 Mini now. I really want something which can make warbly and slightly gritty tones, similar to lead sounds you might hear from Tycho or Boards of Canada. Quite a few of the MS-20 videos I've seen have similar tones. The lack of patch memory is definitely a downside though. I was initially considering the Bass Station because I heard someone achieve this tone with it, but he was using a chain of guitar effects pedals, so its probably not a good example. I might just save up and get the Moog Sub 37 though. I've heard some great demos from it and I know it is a high quality product.

Last edited:
You could also consider looking around for a vintage device. Then all you would need to do is work out a Control Voltage controller, plug it in to your interface and then you would have a pretty cool device.

Have you looked at the Roland System-1 or 1m? You can get some awsome tones from it! again, not analog but does that really matter to you?

Back