Style of Production/Sound

Aj Beats

What's the importance of having my own sound and is these things I have been seeing on youtube like, "Drake, Migos etc type beat" good for a starter to do should I get my sound and perfect it?

Imitate the styles of artists you like and then make something you like out of all that. Learning something about sound design will help you. You can pick up a few things from "how to make beats like [insert artist]" vids but looking up tutorials specifically for sound design will take you a bit farther.

Copy as many people you can and you naturally delve into more random stuff along the way.
You learn a lot of new things this way I think.

I think this is kinda contradictory...because on one hand, you want your own sound that you can push and people will hopefully come to you just for that sound that only you can do.

But on the other hand, the most beat sales I have had are from doing "imitation" style beats of other producers sounds. Rappers tend to hear a track on an album but can't afford the money to pay for the real producer to make a beat for them...so they hit up Google/music websites/Youtube and try to find the next best thing. Thats why a lot of these beats have a "INSERT NAME HERE style beat", because they want to catch the attention of the rappers looking for beats like that. It's good marketing.

The best sales I have achieved were back when Scott Storch was on top and I managed to get his sound down fair well...and whenever he produced a beat for 50 Cent or other artists, I would soak up sales based off of producing similar beats.

It's just marketing, really. Yes, you sell yourself out a bit and should really be finding your own sound, but...we've all gotta eat.

Back