Studio Sessions

DevonBakerMusic

When you guys host your sessions, whether it be at the house or at a full blown studio, what are your rules?

For example: Do you allow the homies and ******* to roll through too?

I don't, the only people allowed during the session are those that in some way are directy related to the production of the song (e.g. engineer, songwriter, bassist, artists, etc...). Everybody else to me is just a distraction.

Discuss.

I don't mind if they bring one or two people, but I don't wanna a whole crew of people in there ****ing shit up and my home studio ain't that big anyways. My mic in the same room, so it's annoying when someone brings a ton of people and you can't get them to be quiet while we're recording in the same room. I've got to where I always tell the person that if they're planning on bringing people that they need to let me know, so I can approve or let them know not too bring their crew.

I've literally had to kick people out, because we couldn't get anything done. You think people would understand that we're recording and that they need to be quiet, but some people don't have any manners.

^^ I hear you. I have a huge session tonight. Me, engineer, rapper, guitarist and a few boxes of pizza that's it. As tempted as I get to invite the homies or some ladies, I know it will only be a distraction.

It's proven that nixxas act different when girls are present.

I always thought it was funny when you saw 50 people in the studio and only one is the rapper. It's like what you need all these people in here for. They don't even speak or have any kind of creative input. Just nod your head and say "that s**t hot." If not working wait outside or in a different room. I hate when people smoke all on the mic. I understand you need to get in your zone, but blow away from the mic. This is why I dont have an open studio to the public. It's just myself. I follow the rules.

When you guys host your sessions, whether it be at the house or at a full blown studio, what are your rules?

I don't, the only people allowed during the session are those that in some way are directy related to the production of the song (e.g. engineer, songwriter, bassist, artists, etc...). Everybody else to me is just a distraction.

Discuss.

No smoking or drinking ANYTHING within my facility. And throw away your trash.

I have light carpets on the floor (was never supposed to be a "public" place..was suppose to be more of a media room / studio) and there are already enough stains where artists have spilled shit.

Other than that, not many rules. People are reasonably respectful of my space.

Back when I was in Japan recording out my barracks room, I had a strict no drinking policy. Some of those cats couldn't hold their liquor, literally and figuratively. Spilling everywhere and then grabbing the mic like it's supposed to work like that. GTFO with that bullshit. No more "recording parties" anymore.

when i'm recording someone at a studio, usually it's just the 'no tobacco' rule (joints ok, blunts aren't) cuz tobacco smoke sticks to gear. that's the studio's policy though not mine. otherwise if it's out of my home studio setup there aren't really any rules cuz i'm only bringing in friends.

Discuss.

I'm just like you ...if you want to hang out with your friend/homies do it on your own time...you'll end up wasting time and energy when you got all these other ppl in the studio

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

No booze, no smoke of any kind, no non-prescription drugs of any sort, no food in the room, no hangers-on; hard enough to get things done without telling people who will get too easily offended they need to shut-up or ship-out - so even more clearly: musos and vocalists, engineers and writers permitted if needed. Food and drink outside, smoke and illicit drugs not permitted on the property (i.e. from the front gate inwards)...... my crib, my rules.....

I have a fairly decent size studio(den area of my home that wraps around to the kitchen), a makeshift booth(laundry room)so people talking doesn't get in the way of recording, if you wanna drink, you sit at the kitchen area, and if you wanna smoke anything, you go outside. Absolutely no smoking in my house. I got kids, but other than that, I let the client set the vibe.

Bringing people around creates a different vibe. I always give peole the chance, it works better for some. But if when the chix come around you can't focus on your verse or turn into shy ronnie(I've really seen it happen), I advise you not to bring them back thru anymore. If when the homies come around they wanna BS on facebook, or talk thru the session, doesn't phase me, I get paid by the hour.

I think I've always vibed like that from sitting in "professional"(respect the quotes)hip hop sessions ran the same way. I've never been around anyone with a lil buzz on a worldwide scale that didn't keep a packed studio while recording. That's not saying it doesn't happen, just never been the environment I've seen records made in.

Back