Stop comparing your tracks to big time producers

Curdabur

Hey just a friendly reminder to stop comparing your tracks to big time producers - especially while you are still building your track. Don't get me wrong, it is good to have a reference point for mixing and mastering, but I think this constant comparison of how you're measuring up will not serve you well in the long run.

I sometimes fall into the habit of making something and then going to another track to see how mine is measuring up and getting discouraged. This is illogical though because they have already mixed and mastered their track and have made it to the best of their ability (and their sound engineers ability). I do however recommend taking ideas from your favorite producers and making them your own. This is how I have made the majority of my best tracks.

Anyways, just a little reminder to some of you who are getting started and get frustrated about your sound. Mindset is a huge factor in this game, so keep grinding.

well put... learning not to worry about what the next one over is doing/making is an important part of growing as an artist......

Totally agree to that, a cool Trance DJ from germany did tell me to focus your mind on practicing and improving your tracks day by day, also stop thinking about "ohhh is this the best thing at this moment in order to improve? Uhhh let´s watch YouTube videos and copy some pros"

On the other hand, it´s very usefull watching these Pro Producer In The Studio thing to get the idea behind mixing and producing, also having a soundbank of refference tracks can help getting a certain sound or vibe on your own track, how to design your build up etc.

Another producer and studio owner from germany told me, as long as you think your music is good, it´s good, tomorrow you´ll practice to make it even better.

So yeah, JUST DO IT!!! and practice :D

Back