Stolen song...help?

C

C-Enes

i made a pants on the ground remix awhile ago. recently i checked amazon and napster and some group named United We Stand Entertainment has jacked my song and is making a killing in sales (#166 in top mp3 downloads). ive still got my raw reason files and what not and have contacted my lawyer. anything else to do? what should i do?

call an entertainment laywer.....but then again I mean its just a remix

EDIT: just youtubed pants on the ground.......pathetic

Last edited:
i made a pants on the ground remix awhile ago. recently i checked amazon and napster and some group named United We Stand Entertainment has jacked my song and is making a killing in sales (#166 in top mp3 downloads). ive still got my raw reason files and what not and have contacted my lawyer. anything else to do? what should i do?

Are you saying that "United We Stand Entertainment" is actually selling the actual remix that *YOU* made?

Or are you saying that they did a remix of their *own*, but they stole the *idea* from you to do a remix of "pants on the ground"?

...either way, it will be very difficult to sue someone for selling something that is illegal for you or anyone else other than the "pants on the ground" copyright holder to sell in the first place...

It is like "Hello, Police department? I need you to arrest my neighbor because he stole my heroin and my crack and is selling it and keeping all the money!"

*Neither of you* are legally entitled or authorized to sell this remix... so *you* can't get anything from "united we stand entertainment"... the most you can hope for is that *they* will be stopped from selling the track (the "pants on the ground" copyright holder would have to stop them) and that they would have to give all the money to the copyright holder and pay him "damages".

But what do you think you will sue for? You have no rights here.

Yes, they took your track (assuming this is true).

But you have no rights to the track in the first place. Only the copyright holder has the legal right to make "derivative works" (which is what this is)... you have no basis for a lawsuit.

The most you can do is contact the website that is selling the track and tell them that they are selling this song illegally without authorization from the actual copyright holder (and I am just assuming that they have no authorization to sell this track)

but i still the own the rights to the instrumental right? like alotta lawyers are very confused on this right now, i asked around and they took a listen. so basically they dont know what to do and the guy is making a killing. its like who gets the credit for the song if its stolen, the producer who arranged the song and did the instrumental or the guy who performed and wrote it? both are important ya feel me?

If you did a remix of a song you don't own the rights to and someone steals it, I really doubt there's anything you can do. They should be sued, unless they have an agreement with whoever owns the rights.

Either way, if you don't have your material copyrighted, people can just jack your stuff. That goes for completely original works too. Be careful in the wolves' den.

i do have the instrumental copyrighted. and the lawyers stopped responding so maybe thats a good sign.

Back