Start/Transition from FL Studio

Da DJ

Recently I have been experimenting with FL Studio. I am considering on purchasing it, but was wondering about the transition from FL Studio to other DAWs.

After using FL Studio for a bit, would transferring to Logic Studio be difficult? In other words, how much more "advanced" is Logic Studio.

Also, would buying FL Studio to start off producing be a good idea? Or should I directly jump into a DAW like Logic Studio or Pro Tools?

Thanks.

As obi always says. Start out buying the good stuff. That way you won't have to buy twice. This from a man who started buying cheap and lives to regret it.

From my experience after learning one DAW, learning any other one is easier. But I gotta say, I wouldnt spend money on FL. There are more important things. Room accoustics, monitors, interface (or D/A converters) If you spent money on an interface it will come with enough software to get you rolling. Also look at Reaper. and other freeware thats around.

Considering that FL is Windows-only and Logic is Mac-only, it might be hard to switch from one to the other.
Think about what you want from a DAW, download a billion trial versions and get the one that you like the most.

Personally I would stay on FL if you like it. If you don't then move but to logic will be more expensive. If you wanna go that route be prepared to deal with the price, both monetarily and with your time.

Thanks. I am not so worried about the price as I am the quality, and a good base. In other words, if one were to begin a career as a Music Producer, would having a base, or backround, of FL Studio be good? Or would directly starting the "Profesional, industry standard" DAWs like Logic Studio and Pro Tools, as mentioned, be better?

I already have a MIDI controller, and have been hitting up the demo of FL Studio. It seems to be a very easy DAW, not to complicated. Pro Tools, or the "industry standard", from what I have seen from recent videos, seems quite sophisticated. Is that true? Or can one with a basic knowledge of music production operate it?

Also, is Logic Studio as sophisticated as Pro Tools? Two years ago I took a music production class, as a freshman in high school, and we used Garageband. I presume Logic Studio is quite similar to
Garageband?

Garageband is a much more stripped down DAW compared to Logic. Logic would be more of a pro DAW.

Last edited:
Pro Tools and Logic aren't really as advanced or as important in the 'industry' as you would probably imagine.

In broadcast and major label, commercial releases; maybe so.

If you want to make your own music and produce for friends and other artist, it's more important that you know how to use what you're using, when you use it.

FL has come a long way and is becoming increasingly reflective of the patching and routing aesthetic of the more usual, hardware-inspired, professional tools.

My teacher told me that once you learn one strip on a mixing board, you've learnt them all, you shouldn't be overwhelmed by all the functions, take your time to learn one thing and the fundamentals will apply anything you chose to use in the future.

Thanks. I take it, from the responses, that Pro Tools is actually not that difficult to operate? So can one who has little experience operate it?

Also, is Logic Studio as complicated as Pro Tools? Or is it a bit easier to operate?

By using FL Studio, would someone be able to learn "the basics", and be able to apply those things to more "profesional DAWs" like Logic Studio and Pro Tools? In other words, is FL Studio kind of like a "little toy" and using it I would not learn anything that can be applied to "Profesional DAWs" or learn any basics of music production.

Also, would you consider FL Studio to be something like a "toy", and not usable for professional production?

Do Not Turn This Into A DAW Argument.

Thanks. I take it, from the responses, that Pro Tools is actually not that difficult to operate? So can one who has little experience operate it?

Also, is Logic Studio as complicated as Pro Tools? Or is it a bit easier to operate?

By using FL Studio, would someone be able to learn "the basics", and be able to apply those things to more "profesional DAWs" like Logic Studio and Pro Tools? In other words, is FL Studio kind of like a "little toy" and using it I would not learn anything that can be applied to "Profesional DAWs" or learn any basics of music production.

Also, would you consider FL Studio to be something like a "toy", and not usable for professional production?

Do Not Turn This Into A DAW Argument.

well... lessee... FL Studio already won a Grammy for one cat, so I guess the answer to that would be "no".

well... lessee... FL Studio already won a Grammy for one cat, so I guess the answer to that would be "no".

Basics.

I started out with FL. Still took me years to learn intermediate level production. (I been teaching myself everything ground up for like 5 years.)

So... Start downloading them demos. Find what's easiest for you to use. Build on it.

Basically, if you feel like you can build on your skill from there, then keep it. It's a good program, but but if you buy it, 1 - buy the full version (XXL/Signature Bundle), and 2 - Buy it online for the lifetime updates.

Back