Sound proofing or mic dampener

Insane Mage

Lyrically Insane
Okay so im not sure weather i should get wall sound proofing or that round shield sound dampener that goes around your microphone. I record rap and horror core (which is typically recorded with louder vocals then rap) and im using a blue yeti recording mic with stand and shock mount. The vocals also load straight to my computer which the fan on it is kinda noisy, which is why i believe i need to do some wall sound proofing, or atleast in my closet for a vocal booth. In addition im also do speed rapping on some of my songs, so which sound proofing would be better for that as well if it makes a difference

I would get the shield for the mix first as it is the most effective, but I would also place a wall of panels behind you in the direction the mic is facing (the opening of the shield).

Do you want acoustic treatment to make the recordings sound better, or do you need to isolate yourself from outside noises? The only way you can get the latter (isolation) is with construction. Putting foam up on some walls won't give you any isolation - it will only deaden high end reflections.

Both. A "real reflection filter" plus some foam treatments will help. Stay away from anything with a closed back they're are bullfeces.

Thanks bro. It would be me just doing beats and possibly recording vocals. The soundproof would be great cuz I never made beats in a soundproof environment. Anybody know a budget for all this?

the thing that jumped out at me in the original description is the need to separate the noise coming form the computer fan from the mic - this means doing one or more things:

structure within structure to create an acoustically decoupled room to record vocals in (a closet booth won't cut it, even with the door closed)
reflection filter between mic and the computer to reduce direct noise reaching it
adding a high slope notch/comb filter set to the fan freq to remove it from any recordings

Watch the trone album by kanye and jigga was done in a living room with no booth. Just a pop filter and a stool to sit on. Right equiptment is the key. And a good engineer.

Back