Songwriter Contracts

jeffersonparish

Hey everyone,

Newbie to the forum here!

I'm hoping some of you could share some similar experiences.

Other people hire me to write lyrics for their songs, either through an ownership split or work-for-hire with a buyout fee, both of which are simple enough contracts.

Now, I've decided to start shopping unused songs to production music libraries, hoping to get some synchs.

I've read over some contracts (non-exclusive libraries), which are definitely not as simple as a work-for-hire or split.

I'm not an attorney, but I'm not thrilled with what I read. Particularly the three-year duration and the clauses granting them rights to change the composition itself, including titles and the music itself. I know there are real benefits to it, especially since they deal with thousands of songs and need to organize them somehow, but overall, music libraries are foreign worlds to me.

Have any of you ever dealt with them? Any issues with their contracts? If there was a problem, was it resolved at all?

I've seen a lot of online articles about this, but it's always better to hear from people who have actually gone THROUGH it.

Thanks for your time!

Jay

Last edited:
Back