So this is side-yodeling, not autotune...

AuroraAxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXypB4tOlOc

I was watching this, and I knew there was something weird about her voice. It felt like autotune, but the piano felt too natural for the whole video to be auto tuned. I was experiencing classical conditioning, due to the fact that I hate auto-tune and mainstream before hand and that made me not like this video at first hand because of it.
That was when I heard about side yodeling. It was her natural voice but it was her mixing her falsetto and normal voice to create such a sound. I started to like it.

What's your take on side-yodeling?

I give her props for being able to do that with her voice.
I do not like how it sounds and would not purchase any song using this technique as I find it to be just as annoying as autotune.

A couple funny things about this video and vocal concept:

1) I've never heard it called "side-yodelling" before. Where did you hear that term? Singers have been breaking from full-voice to falsetto for a long time ("The Human Echo," that chick from the Cranberries, all the other alternative singers that do it, etc., etc.).

2) This girl has exploded virally in the last year, as evidenced by her YouTube hits. She's actually the daughter of an "online friend" of mine from another music forum. He's a talented guy and obviously trained her well. They did TV news stories on the "controversy" for awhile (many people were sure she was using Auto-Tune). It's a funny thing-- people will often figure things out for themselves as long as it's before someone else tells them that it's "impossible." More examples-- Joe Walsh learned to play a three-part George Harrison over-dub live, because at the time he didn't know about over-dubbing and nobody told him he couldn't possibly play all three parts at once... John Coltrane looked at a written example of one of his solos that a graduate student had transcribed; when she asked him to play it, he said "Nobody could play that!" Funny thing was, he already had. I think Emma was just responding to the way she heard the vocal (at least in her head), and she sang it that way because she liked it; I don't think she considered Auto-Tune at all.

GJ

Last edited:
A couple funny things about this video and vocal concept:

1) I've never heard it called "side-yodelling" before. Where did you hear that term? Singers have been breaking from full-voice to falsetto for a long time ("The Human Echo," that chick from the Cranberries, all the other alternative singers that do it, etc., etc.).

2) This girl has exploded virally in the last year, as evidenced by her YouTube hits. She's actually the daughter of an "online friend" of mine from another music forum. He's a talented guy and obviously trained her well. They did TV news stories on the "controversy" for awhile (many people were sure she was using Auto-Tune). It's a funny thing-- people will often figure things out for themselves as long as it's before someone else tells them that it's "impossible." More examples-- Joe Walsh learned to play a three-part George Harrison over-dub live, because at the time he didn't know about over-dubbing and nobody told him he couldn't possibly play all three parts at once... John Coltrane looked at a written example of one of his solos that a graduate student had transcribed; when she asked him to play it, he said "Nobody could play that!" Funny thing was, he already had. I think Emma was just responding to the way she heard the vocal (at least in her head), and she sang it that way because she liked it; I don't think she considered Auto-Tune at all.

GJ

Well I learned about the concept when I was watching this video afterwards, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6nNWX7TTI

Back