So Jay-z DOESN'T Want Your Beat For His Next Project BUT.....

ShawkCityBeats

So Jay-z DOESN'T Want Your Beat For His Next Project BUT..... a newly signed artist on the come up does. Maybe he just got signed to DTP or Grand Hustle. What would your starting terms be for the beat? Has anyone said no to a deal with a large up and comer over terms?

If it's hit material. . . .

FREE. . .with royalties and referrals to Ludacris lol

Thanks for continuing my original thread concept. The better question (and this happens OFTEN) is what do you do if the Roc Nation A&R tells you he's feeling one of your tracks and to not let anyone else hear it while he's pitching it to Jay-Z or he records to a 2 track version of your beat and then puts the business on hold because they're not sure if they going to use it or not....and then you get a call from the up and coming artist that you already sent out before the Jay-Z hit back saying they ready to cut the check NOW for it.

What do you do???

A) Make the deal with the upcoming artist, get your check and then let the Roc Nation contact know the beat is no longer available? (possibly miss out on a Jay-Z hit record and/or burn a industry bridge but get a definite check cut)

B) Tell the newbie artist that the track is not available and hope that Jay-Z decide to go with the track? (he may scrap it but have you on ice indefinitely and you see zero bread from either side)

Thanks for continuing my original thread concept. The better question (and this happens OFTEN) is what do you do if the Roc Nation A&R tells you he's feeling one of your tracks and to not let anyone else hear it while he's pitching it to Jay-Z or he records to a 2 track version of your beat and then puts the business on hold because they're not sure if they going to use it or not....and then you get a call from the up and coming artist that you already sent out before the Jay-Z hit back saying they ready to cut the check NOW for it.

What do you do???

A) Make the deal with the upcoming artist, get your check and then let the Roc Nation contact know the beat is no longer available? (possibly miss out on a Jay-Z hit record and/or burn a industry bridge but get a definite check cut)

B) Tell the newbie artist that the track is not available and hope that Jay-Z decide to go with the track? (he may scrap it but have you on ice indefinitely and you see zero bread from either side)

Sell it to the up and comer. Get your cash, points, and publishing right. Get that paper. Be honest with the A&R about the situation. He will respect you for it. Always go for a sure thing when it comes to money. Also send the A&R 10 beats that are better than the one he was sitting on. Chances are you have beats that are hotter now anyways.

I think Scottzilla had a real encounter like this, except the cat was a big local cat not on jay's level. Anyway if u cool with the up and coming cat, get yo money and holla at J's people on the real. They might get pissed, but what's the odds they bring u on the team. I think a certain cat that talks bout relationships a lot has begun to influence my thought.

1) Tell Roc Nation to cut a "retainer" check to hold that beat

Or

2) Sell it non exclusive to the indie artist at a discounted rate.

But for real, whoever cuts that check first is who gets it. Can't tell the rent people "I know my rent is due, but Jay-Z might want this beat from me..."

I'm in a similar situation now. Indie label has has had a few of my beats for a while, and they wanna 2-Track em. Had to remind them like uhh, you ain't paid for those, so they are still on the "for sale" list.

Money talks. BS runs the marathon.

lies run sprints. truth run marathons.

we are future "producers" right?

and if it's an up and coming artist then i'd want to work with the person personally. (like a producer does) i'd want to create a song and build an actual relationship. a portion of whatever money they were going to spend on sending me a check could have a portion for a plane ticket to the artist. or have the artist fly out to me.

i'd gladly and willingly take a deduction on my advance to get a chance to work with the artist in the studio and CREATE.

most of these labels have frequent flier mileage, or a plane ticket would merely be a business expense. so i'm tired of hearing the excuse that no one wants to come out or has the time to stop and work with other artists/producers.

you have all this time and money at your disposal, and still sending pro tool files back and forth to each other? schedule it, or make time for it. if you're a professional artist getting paid at the major label level like a roc nation, someone should be able to book a business trip to essentially build a relationship with a new producer. rather than cuttin corners sending each other beats.

i don't think just blaze and kanye west were sending jay pro tool files when the blueprint was made.

i mean im sure they could hire someone to recreate the thing that they're asking me for. but that'd probably be more expensive and overall dumb in the long run, when i'd gladly take a pay cut to get a chance to genuinely create RECORDS with artists.

lies run sprints. truth run marathons.

we are future "producers" right?

and if it's an up and coming artist then i'd want to work with the person personally. (like a producer does) i'd want to create a song and build an actual relationship. a portion of whatever money they were going to spend on sending me a check could have a portion for a plane ticket to the artist. or have the artist fly out to me.

i'd gladly and willingly take a deduction on my advance to get a chance to work with the artist in the studio and CREATE.

most of these labels have frequent flier mileage, or a plane ticket would merely be a business expense. so i'm tired of hearing the excuse that no one wants to come out or has the time to stop and work with other artists/producers.

you have all this time and money at your disposal, and still sending pro tool files back and forth to each other? schedule it, or make time for it. if you're a professional artist getting paid at the major label level like a roc nation, someone should be able to book a business trip to essentially build a relationship with a new producer. rather than cuttin corners sending each other beats.

i don't think just blaze and kanye west were sending jay pro tool files when the blueprint was made.

i mean im sure they could hire someone to recreate the thing that they're asking me for. but that'd probably be more expensive and overall dumb in the long run, when i'd gladly take a pay cut to get a chance to genuinely create RECORDS with artists.

Maybe once the music you send starts taking off then the artist might want you to come to the studio but otherwise why should the artist bother flying you out? It is honestly less expensive to just buy the beat when you consider how valuable time is. Money can always be made. Time can't.

why not? what does a normal artist go through on a daily basis? what are they doing when they're not making music? making appearances and doing shows? if they dedicate three hours a day to making music, each day, that's at least 15 hours a week that's spent making music throughout the week. assuming you took saturdays and sundays off.

and you mean to tell me, that an artist who is serious about making the best music/songs possible couldn't find time to schedule you in to make something together.

(thoughts of an artist)
"man i like what you do, it sounds hot! i could just get this one beat from you and call it a day, but i don't know! maybe you have some other heaters i don't know about?! or do you got any hooks for me? i mean my label has allotted a portion of their budget for production, are you willing to come through to the studio and vibe out with me."

assuming they were gonna give me 3000 dollars for a beat. a round-trip plane ticket is like 500 to 700 bucks. and i'd be willing to let that come out of my own pocket (as the one being paid!) to try and establish a relationship with the artist i'm working with.

so next time he/she goes to make an album, they'll remember...

"ayo, this producer 3reHoLLa came through we kicked it and knocked a full song out. he helped me with the hook, gave me some ideas for what the song could be about, and it was just fun to be a part of the creative process. it's one of them tracks where it might not be one that stands out or is an immediate hit, but you'll wanna keep playin it because it's got somethin."

but then again, my goal is to be a genuine producer. not just a beat maker.

If you don't get your money from the larger situation what have you accomplished? They don't have to put that record out ya know. There's always another option. It's all on you. Swizz Beatz said in an interview get your money it's your material. Don't let a celeb fold you just cause they are popular....

If you don't get your money from the larger situation what have you accomplished? They don't have to put that record out ya know. There's always another option. It's all on you. Swizz Beatz said in an interview get your money it's your material. Don't let a celeb fold you just cause they are popular....

I agree. I know a lot of producers give artists free beats but honestly they should cut that out. What's a product worth if you give it away? NOTHING. I understand the mindset of those giving away beats. They want promotion so they can tell underground artists tell worked with so and so and then the REAL money can roll in. I don't agree. This model is broken. If your beats are dope there is a paying market for them. Don't sell yourself short. Even if its your first chance at a placement and they don't want to pay say NO until they say yes. And if they don't say yes? Oh well. There are more artists out there.

In a perfect world yeah this would be great! But 99 times out of a hundred the artist (major label/big indie) will not come to you and will not even want you to be in the studio if you lived local... Unless your established. Just the way it is!

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

why not? what does a normal artist go through on a daily basis? what are they doing when they're not making music? making appearances and doing shows? if they dedicate three hours a day to making music, each day, that's at least 15 hours a week that's spent making music throughout the week. assuming you took saturdays and sundays off.

and you mean to tell me, that an artist who is serious about making the best music/songs possible couldn't find time to schedule you in to make something together.

(thoughts of an artist)
"man i like what you do, it sounds hot! i could just get this one beat from you and call it a day, but i don't know! maybe you have some other heaters i don't know about?! or do you got any hooks for me? i mean my label has allotted a portion of their budget for production, are you willing to come through to the studio and vibe out with me."

assuming they were gonna give me 3000 dollars for a beat. a round-trip plane ticket is like 500 to 700 bucks. and i'd be willing to let that come out of my own pocket (as the one being paid!) to try and establish a relationship with the artist i'm working with.

so next time he/she goes to make an album, they'll remember...

"ayo, this producer 3reHoLLa came through we kicked it and knocked a full song out. he helped me with the hook, gave me some ideas for what the song could be about, and it was just fun to be a part of the creative process. it's one of them tracks where it might not be one that stands out or is an immediate hit, but you'll wanna keep playin it because it's got somethin."

but then again, my goal is to be a genuine producer. not just a beat maker.

In a perfect world yeah this would be great! But 99 times out of a hundred the artist (major label/big indie) will not come to you and will not even want you to be in the studio if you lived local... Unless your established. Just the way it is!​

Back