Snare rolls?

Dirt Dog

yea man i need to learn how to make some sick Tom and snare rolls!
is there a place where i can just buy them and program them

just slow ur tempo and play the notes really fast on beat. that's all a roll is, a quick series of 1 hits in rapid succession. if worse comes to worse, go into the piano roll and draw them in. also, trying useing the search, this question gets asked almost everyday. hope that helps.
LevLove

Last edited:
Da Youngsta said:
If youre using an mpc use 16 levels and note repeat and there you have it.

Or even turning the full velocity off and just pushing down on the pad. So Many options. You could also search for sound samples online.

I wish it would go away im tired of it the less people know how to do it the less i have to hear it in every damn song. I mean i love a good snare roll or flam just like the next guy but it is getting way out of hand.

it is different for every sequencer what are you using?

FullSpectrum said:
I wish it would go away im tired of it the less people know how to do it the less i have to hear it in every damn song. I mean i love a good snare roll or flam just like the next guy but it is getting way out of hand.

well said, less typing for me.:bat:

the best roll i ever heard was on B-5 "Hydrolic"
right now im using FL7 , but im aiming for a G6 fantom an maybe a MPC4000

i know i tried the MPC 1000 at the Guitar Center and i couldn't pull a snare roll for **** SKILLZ LOL

its pretty easy man, many ways to do it too, you could just hit a note, hold it for a bar, and arp it, or chop it, or you can play it, i do whatever is easiest, and quite frankly its just arping it

Aww man, did u just say B-5? Thats what kids too young to listen bow wow listen to. LoL, bow wow and omarion or too hard for the young'ns, so they listen to B-5. If u can't pull of a snare roll in FL, or worse yet, a 1000, a G6 and a 4000 is going to be a complete waste of mommy's money. LoL don't get mad, i'm just havin fun with u. But for real, try penciling some stuff in on FL, and learn work the "note repeat" button on the 1000. No amount of expensive, overpriced, overkill peice of equipment is going to do the work for u. U are still captain of the ship. If u can't do rolls on a 1000 or FL, u can't do rolls on a G6 or a 4000. What controller r u usin with FL that u can't do a roll? Assign the same sound to 2 keys and detune one by a cent or two, sloe the tempo down, mash keys at a feverish pace (with input quantise on, set to 1/64) and turn ur tempo back up when done. Same thing i suggested B4 (not 2 B confused with B-5) just with a bit more dt hard, if ur still havin trouble, hit the search box and type "roll", some asks this question every other day.
LevLove

man i don't have hardware like that (YET!) just a cheep ass casio 61-keyboard and FL i did made a few rolls bout i need some more. only way i got the rolls is my chopin' up snares on FL7 naw mean.
so if hardware ain't gonna do it i guest i gotta keep grinding them out myself.

Last edited:
So i take it u never tried my suggestion? R u using the casio with FL, either as a controller or a sound module? Either way, my slowed down suggestion still works. If ur using it as a controller, load a snare hit into a new channel and use my technique, or if ur using it as a sound module, find the snare keys and then use my technique. But if ur not gonna atleast try my ideas, i'm gonna stop helpin. Let me know, cause typin on this phone sux!
LevLove

Dirt Dog said:

Hmmmm....the played out note repeat stuff has pretty much been spoken on. But..if you want realistic sounding drum rolls...I would study drum fills from old 70's records and then try piecing them back together using your own sounds. To me the art of it is using different filter, pitch, attack/decay, etc. tricks. When a drummer plays drums no 2 hits are precisely the same. Imitating this variance in your own compositions can defiinitely bring a good 'feel' to your tracks. Check out 'Groove with you' by the Isley Brothers. They have a tom roll/fill that goes through most of the song. That, to me is what a good roll/fill should sound like. Don't forget good panning, most toms are panned spread out to make them sound bigger in the recording.

don't get me wrong imma try it when i get come cause i have no internet over there im writing this paper, def. good lookin' out

ok, if u have fruity loops just draw a bunch of dots close together. if you get an mpc just use the note repeat function

Freezo u have a keyword in ur post i been meanin to touch on. The word "fill". People keep sayin rolls, when they mean "snare fills". A fill is a fill, and a "snare roll" is a simplified fill. All the 808 "snare rolls" in dirty south music (ala mannie fresh) are more snare fills then rolls. Prime example is the jeezy "and then what" boom boom clap song, the "snare roll" in there isn't a roll at all, but a series of 16th note triplets. Thats a fill, not a roll. It's not uncommon for a drummer to use a roll in a fill, just like they would use a flam or a paradiddle in a fill as well. A roll sounds more like rapid machine gun fire, if that helps paint the picture. Or go watch a movie that has a policeman's or fireman's funeral scene, u'll normally hear bagpipes and real snaredrum rolls. I'm glad u threw the word fill in there freezo, so people know the difference. Just tryin to help, i am by no means tryin to pretend to be mr.know it all.
LevLove

Last edited:
Fills are usually ending riffs that bridge measure or verses. They don't have to be at the end of a measure but that's where they are classically placed.

The toms you here in Breathe are an example of a simple fill. I wish I had a better off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
yo try this right....one measure 16th notes....go back then add some 32nds.

Easily done with any mpc using the note repete button (using 16th or 32nd TC)

But if your using software.
Just go into your piano roll and draw it in.

Back