Snare drum. Lloyd Banks- I'm so Fly

GottiTrak

How does Timbo get the snare to pop like that? It almost sounds bubbly. He does this alot and it always sounds hot. Is it a sample that sounds like that already or is it mixing to make it sound like that?

start with a good sample ...and it comes down to mixing panning instruments,maybe the compression used on the snare/reverb..

-Coach Antonio

Timbo doesn't strike me as a dude that does a lot of processing..

He probably has a 50 terabyte drum library and just pulls something up that sounds hot as ****.

He probably has a 50 terabyte drum library and just pulls something up that sounds hot as ****.

Right same here I don't need to look for a certain snare sound I just find one in my sample library I like when making a beat

-Coach Antonio

yea he probably doesnt do much processing himself but he has engineers for that. but yea he definately has a huge sound collection.

You guys might be giving Timbo a bit too much credit. No disrespect to him, but as other dude above has already said, I'm sure he's not doing a whole lot of processing.

It sounds like a well mixed clap/snare to me.

you think he was using sample packs back in '94 when he completely changed the music forever? the way he programmed drums and the way his kicks and snares sounded was amazing... that shit inspired so many people,i mean... from dj premier to calvin harris. you think that happened because he had a nice sample pack? you think his engineer was sitting there chopping drum breaks all day and layering them?

gottitrak said:
how does danjahandz get the snare to pop like that? It almost sounds bubbly. He does this alot and it always sounds hot. Is it a sample that sounds like that already or is it mixing to make it sound like that?​

had to fix that for you....

had to fix that for you....

Danja: "The way me and Tim were working at that time was that he would pick a sample and I would create a loop. When you listen to 'I'm So Fly,' you hear the flutes and the guitar and all that stuff. Those were things that I played. Tim would sample that and put a beat to it in his ASR-10. I was creating samples for him to use that were original records."I would play the instruments however I want. I would do a dummy drum beat-because I knew he'd do the drums-and just create everything musically. Then I would take out all of the drums. He would run it through his ASR, sample my loop, and recreate the drums. Then we'd probably add a little more when he got the Protools up.
"For the most part, we used everything we made. Even before I met him, sound selection and quality were big things to me. By the time I got to him, I was able to identify good sounds. We didn't go and make a track and have to replace sounds later. We never had to do that, it was always a one-shot deal."

Lloyd Banks "I'm So Fly" (2004) — Danja Tells All: The Stories Behind His Biggest Hits | Complex

just layer a couple of acoustic snares with a synthetic 808/909 clap or snare. tune everything up, eq until it sounds good to you, and add a little bit of reverb...

Back