Sliders not working in cubase 5.1

Deefex

dB Shifter
Hi, something really weird is going on. i tried starting cubase today after about 2 or 3 weeks of not using it. now i noticed that the sliders in the mixer and in the appearance preferences (general and work area sliders) don't work normally. they jump to 0 if i click on it with the mouse. the only way i can make them move is if i hold down ctrl or the shift key. does anyone know what could be causing this? and when i load synths and inserts, i can mess with their knobs and sliders perfectly fine. but it's only the mixer and any other slider that is part of cubase itself. and also the green slider that are horizontal (like volume, pan, etc....) in the inspector and in the channel EQ. anyone know what could be causing this? i have win xp and cubase 5.1
thanks

Hmmmm..... The [SHIFT]-[key] behaviour is normal, the [CTRL]-[key] behaviour is inverted. Is caps lock on??

Have you spilt anything on your keyboard?

Have you installed some software that may have inadvertently set the [CTRL]-[key] to be normally on?

Have you tried initialising/resetting the mixer settings?

Last edited:
caps lock not on. i reseted the mixer settings, still didn't work. didn't spill anything on keyboard. everything else is working perfectly. the ctrl key is actually what's getting my by. i can only move the sliders if i hold down the ctrl key. the shift key makes them move slower.

Again shift key behaviours is normal - it used for fine placement of any control in Cubase.

Any new software added since last time you fired up Cubase

hmmm, the only thing i can remember adding is this microsoft indexing/search thing that ms office said it needed.

It is possible in installing that that it overwrote a dll that Cubase uses. You can easily re-install Cubase (just move your non-Cubase stuff out of the Cubase folder first to avoid losing it).

Running the Installer with an installation in place should let you choose between fresh install and a repair. Choose repair option if presented, it will replace any dll's that have been tampered with since it was last installed.

You might then need to re-run Windows updates to specifically avoid overwriting the same dll's later (i.e. as you are asked to overwrite existing files with the Cubase repair/reinstall, make a note of the dll names and do not overwrite when running Windows/Microsoft Update - do a manual custom update via the Help Centre.

Good luck

ok, thank you very much. i will try uninstalling that. and i also installed a verizon repair agent, but that's more for internet purposes. so i don't know if that did anything. i really think it was this microsoft search program, since it actually goes through all the files on the hard drive and "indexes" them all. thank you very much, i will let you guys know if i've had any progress.

---------- Post added 06-25-2011 at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-24-2011 at 07:35 PM ----------

*FIXED* I can't believe i didn't do this sooner. but i went through the preferences sections and was hitting defaults for most of the things related to midi and stuff. nothing worked until i got to the editing section. i don't really know if it was midi, controls or audio, but it worked. i kind of have a hunch that it was audio > use mouse wheel for event volume and fades. i unchecked that and now it works. but then when i check it again, it still works. so idk it it's a bug and you just unclick that and then you can click again and it's fixed. idk thanks for all your help guys. :)

Back