Simple Beats? 2 Chainz (I'm Different)

crazy shit no bull shit.. im just coming from alil house party down the street.. i wanna type this before i forget, but me and this dude was playing beat for beat, from our cell phone connection headphone hookup, connected to the house system stereo. well, everyone agreed my shit had better arangement and instrument selection, but the other guy had simple ass unmixed beats and the bass line just banged and instrutments was simple but they was hittin with the beat and people was feelin em too.. it wass obviouse my shit was better but his shit was knockin.. was mine really better?

perfectly said. as long as the artist that receives the "simple beat" and the beat mesh, a simple beat can make a hit song. after being established, your work can be simple or complex as long as it's shopped/gotten to the right artist.

Just like everything else in life, music is not straight black and white. Just because a beat is simple doesn't mean it won't be hot, vice versa for a complex beat. You have to weigh in the other factors.

What's the projected audience for the song? Being that it's a club beat, it doesn't matter if it's complex. You have to cater to the audience. Would you truely be in a club, high energy vibe, while a highly processed 40 beat plays? Be real with yourself.

Next, what do listeners usually expect from the artist on your beat? While 2 Chainz has "super productions" he's most known for his simple, yet catchy, hooks and snappy lyrics. Simple beats are more readily accepting from his fans. The same goes for complex productions. You wouldn't send that type of beat to Kendrick Lamar or Lupe and expect it to do good.

At the end of the day, complex doesn't always mean better. You have to take a step back and look again. I personally think you have to respect the grinding that producer had to do to build the connects to get 2 Chainz on one of his beats.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Better all depends on the context. In the eyes of producers, yours were. In the eyes of a hip hop head, yours were. but in the environment of a party, to the average party listener, your beats weren't better. That environment was better fit for those type of beats.

dr dre makes alot of ...well i wouldnt call simple beats but used alot of simple melodies works for him in most cases

It's the whole song that makes it hot. Don't focus on the beat so much. Once you get vocals on a beat even the most simple beat can sound good. the trick is getting the right rapper with the right voice saying the right things.

Back