Simple Beats? 2 Chainz (I'm Different)

MAzing

Hey what's up everyone.

I was recently looking at that new 2Chainz ADIDAS commercial and it featured his song "I'm Different"

The "one finger" piano melody repeats the entire song and if a Future Producer on here were to post it for feedback, I'm sure everyone would say, "It's too simple, annoying etc"..

Why can a known producer make a simple beat, and a major artist like it, however if the same beat was made by someone else they wouldn't like it? To new producers such as myself it's confusing, because you're told not to make simple beats, and it kinda sets the industry standards low IMO.

What do you guys think?

It's knowing how to make a simple beat that actually sounds good and work. Most of the "future producers" can't

I cant remember which producer told me this but basiclly the song can suck melody wise but if the mix is perfect and Radio ready so to speak that will automatically trump a future producer with a DOPE beat and a bad mix...its still stupid to me but thats basically how it goes and most time A&Rs are looking for people with industry creds already, pll have had placements before..still doesnt make sense but yeaa.

its a dj mustard beat. all his shits simple, but effective.
tyga made his name more well known with the rack city song right??
Simple or complex beat, if a star makes a hit on your beat, you will be accepted.
Once you are accepted, anything you shit out will be gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes simple is just better. Bu yeah, im sure people would be hating if someone on this forums made a simple beat like that.

damn i thought this was the other thread, had them confused was posting in the other one. damn it. lol anyways the beat was clean and its even catchy without the lyriks, like in that commercial, that shit went hard. I think everybody has made a piano plink beat at least once. And I bet they wish it turned out big like the 2chainz beat. front all they want, but the fact is even some of the dopest of composed and sampled beats are simple as can be...

It takes time but You have to learn your beat is more then a beat its an ingredient for a song. So your vision the entire time you make beats is for them to be great songs. And sometimes that means not getting in the way of the artist or the hook

I gotta admit I love the song and the beat is the reason. It has a certain bounce to it that immediately gets everybody moving when the bass drops. And to be honest you don't have to be big. You just have to have the right hook or song in conjunction with it.

I don't think DJ mustard was big when he got placed with Rack City and that was more simple then this beat.

So the challenge to you is not to make it more complex but hook up with the right rappers that have the vision to make the right hook or write the hook yourself for artists who lack the vision to see its potential.

I used to hold the same opinion as you until rappers I compare myself too told me to stop working on a beat midway through and just loop it. It worked out.

Last edited:
Some beats are simple, some are complex, all that matters is the finished product. No average listener gonna care much about how a beat is produced as long as they can nod their head to it. Artists don't really mind how much you put into a beat as long as they can make a song or hit it's whatever to them.

That's why I wouldn't value many producers opinions on here. Getting to artists/listeners is the main goal.

Cause 2 Chainz is on it an its quote unquote "cool". Real producers kno da shit is wack as **** but once you make it you can pull some strings like dat. Dats jus like back in high school days when a lame nigga say sumthin he think funny an dont nobody laugh, but a nigga wit a decked out letterman jacket can say da same shit an people will think its da funniest shit ever.

Cause 2 Chainz is on it an its quote unquote "cool". Real producers kno da shit is wack as **** but once you make it you can pull some strings like dat. Dats jus like back in high school days when a lame nigga say sumthin he think funny an dont nobody laugh, but a nigga wit a decked out letterman jacket can say da same shit an people will think its da funniest shit ever.

^^^^ This

basically the same shit i said though lol, in his own words.

I feel that statement though, its true... I heard these girls at the bar awhile back talking and they said something along the lines of.. "I though he was lame till i seen em in the parking lot sittin on them thangs" I was like DAMN LMAO!! proof right there its all relative..

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

But the beat though, i dont think its wack. i think its simple as hell and roducers are like WTF? because as a producer I feel like more musical beats are needed but i feel a simple beat tme to time. I didnt like rack city beat but the 2chainz beat iight with me. I think people who dont like 2chainz wont like the beat but if an artist they liked was on it and killin it they would like it alittle more. it goes both ways i guess somewhat.

First off, the person who produced this only makes simple party beats like such. Although it is so damn simple he receives so much recognition for it which I believe to be truly unfair. My 4 year old nephew could do something like this and major companies would think its just done for fun.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

its a dj mustard beat. all his shits simple, but effective.
tyga made his name more well known with the rack city song right??
Simple or complex beat, if a star makes a hit on your beat, you will be accepted.
Once you are accepted, anything you shit out will be gold.
Too true my friend. DJ Mustard is ass.

Hip Hop has always partly been about the bounce. That beat is not hot by itself...the lyrics aren't hot by themselves. You could put Nas on that and it would be wack as f*ck. But put that ish together.....chug about 3 jager bombs and plant a big booty girl grinding in front of you and I dare you to say this ish is wack.

Take note.

smh fp'ers love to hate. 99.9% of people don't care about a beats complexity. it just has to sound good. a lot of producers get so caught up in showing off to other producers, that they forget their target audience doesn't know or care about the beat making process.

a couple months back i was with the homies, chilling, picking beats for my album, getting feedback, etc. and i played them this one beat that i thought was dope. i had a jazz pianist come through, and play this amazing solo with hella unique synths. no one was feeling it. one of the homies even said the synth solo was annoying. i then played them this simple ass beat i made when i was 16, and everybody was feeling it.

at first i was confused, then i listened to them again and i realized the 2nd beat had a much better feel to it. moral of the story, sometimes you need to stop analyzing music, and start listening to it.

Last edited:
Beat is wack as hell,but what it does well is it gives the vocals plenty of space.Lets just keep it 100 mustard makes trash but he has connections.

First off, the person who produced this only makes simple party beats like such. Although it is so damn simple he receives so much recognition for it which I believe to be truly unfair. My 4 year old nephew could do something like this and major companies would think its just done for fun.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Too true my friend. DJ Mustard is ass.

At some point though as a Producer that knows what there doing, you have to look past HOW it was made or how EASILY it was made and look at WHY people like it.

Think about it like a Movie Director. They know exactly how to craft a story and shoot the right shot. Then they see these feature summer block busters and think there ass. But if there monetarily successful they know what appeals to the masses.

Your goal isn't to impress your peers its to impress normal people with no musical experience whatsoever. Also consider what your goal in life is. Is it to be placed on big mainstream albums like 2 Chainz or is it to critically acclaimed? And even if your trying to be critically acclaimed notice that Kanye learns from simple producers like Lex Luger and others too

There's one key element that many future producers forget about..... It was PRODUCED...... WELL. You can say what you will about the beat but like F00T said, it worked. For some reason, everything on that track, all the instruments, the arrangement, the performance, the mix and mastering where in sync and perfect for that song, it had an 'it' factor. So many cats are caught up in JUST making the beats that they forget that a beat is only arguably half of a finished song and there are atleast a dozen other factors that make a 'hit'. Remember, talent only counts for so much...

Uhmm.. hmmm ... idk music is music, whether its simple or complex, as long as it's creative, entertains, i'd say its doing the job, screw the industry, music isn't about money, I mean sure it can make you rich, and there most likely are people doing it for just that reason, but most successful musicians agree that money comes no where close to the fulfillment they get from making their music for the world. Juss sayin''

Back