Sidechaining + LFO (with Frequency-Modulation + Resonance-Modulation)

Vaggahbond

Hello people. I'm new on your forums and I just wanted to get started being active on here. :)

So. My first two question are:

1) Sidechaining. Do I use sidechaining (in my case the it's the glue compressor sidechaining, from ableton) on every channel, except bass + kick, when I want to push those both? Or does it only matter with channels that are pretty pumped layers?

2) How can I get a more clean sound from modulating Frequency and Resonance with LFO, to get that typical gnarling sound, people used back in the days in goa music and now even more and more refined in darkpsy and forest? Do you have some tips?

I'm just curious. I figured out how to create these (2) and I was like "YEEEEESSSSSSSS". Now I want to perfect the modulation. :)

1) I think it's an artistic choice - whether or not you want to "pump everything", or just have space for the low end to breathe. Would probably be easier to just bus the other tracks to a single group/aux & compress that instead of having separate comps on each.

2) Cleaner than...what exactly? The classic typical gnarling = TB-303. I guess a lot of different synths have been used in a 303-ish fashion by different artists at different times, but with a real 303 (or one of the better clones these days like the Bass Bot TT-303), you don't really need to work much to get "that sound" - although I personally think it needs a bit of distortion to really cut through, and there's a lot of different opinions on what is the "best" distortion to use (see this page) :D

Thanks for this fast answer. I'm still pretty new to all this stuff. When I've spent a year or two with the DAW I probably will add some analog stuff, to get the hardware feeling also. As a bass player it's a weird feeling, to program everything digitally. :) (Following you on soundcloud / nice music!)

Back