Shouldn't you be getting your money UP FRONT?

To each their own. I believe that people should be compensated fairly for their work. I believe it comes down to what the artist wants. If they come to you and want you to do a track, etc..then I don't see a crime in charging a fair rate. I do see an issue with cats who want a free track, but have intentions on selling it for profit. Essentially, they think their craft is worthy of charge, but yours isn't.

Producers these days let it happen to them. If someone doesn't have upfront money for me I don't even continue the conversation because its setting yourself up to not get paid. Dudes are thirsty and be handing over sessions and stems getting overly excited about maybe getting something and getting screwed in the end. On a side note producers have a similar jacked up mentality of "oh ill buy these plug ins when and if I ever make it with their tools" as if its the plug ins fault that your beats ain't selling

Producers these days let it happen to them. If someone doesn't have upfront money for me I don't even continue the conversation because its setting yourself up to not get paid. Dudes are thirsty and be handing over sessions and stems getting overly excited about maybe getting something and getting screwed in the end. On a side note producers have a similar jacked up mentality of "oh ill buy these plug ins when and if I ever make it with their tools" as if its the plug ins fault that your beats ain't selling

I'm talking up front money before you even send them a beat, even in MP3 form...

What market are we talking about here? If its a no name guy on the come up I charge half up front to make them a beat, half when its done and they are satisfied and it works out great. I've never had any issues with customer satisfaction.
Any rapper with a buzz is not gonna pay a producer on FP upfront in my experience. Its funny I was just on FB and a rapper with a lil buzz is fckn offended that there are some producers not willing to pay him to be on his mixtapes haha...its crazy the disconnect there is between producers on here and the real market out there. In a perfect world where everyone is getting bread, recouping on album sales and selling millions it would be great for no name producers to get a couple g's upfront but it isnt like that unfortunately. So back to the point, no names pay upfront and if its a well known rapper they get a free beat so I can build my resume, which equates to more sales to no names

Jus an thought... We scoff at no named rappers attempts to get beats from us for free, even when they got talent. Who's to say rappers look don't at us the same? Yeah, we might have talent but that doesn't necessarily translate to a hit. I noticed that broke rappers don't approach big named producers like Dr. Dre, Pharrell and Kanye for free beats. Buzz and branding have to be factors in this

This is a very interesting post. Im mostly on the lower end of the production spectrum so I just put out the beats that I already have made.

Since Im in College full time and I work a full time job, I don't have a ton of time to just sit and create a ton of custom tracks. So, I just put up what I have made. Now if the beat is bought exclusive I will make a few changes only after payment is made.

Guys that produce for a living can most likely ask for the money up front. Even if the person doesn't like it someone else will and they can just put that track on their website for someone else.

Both sides have pros in cons. It just depends on preference and how you see it. Sort of like is the cup half full/half empty.

Great topic Troup!

Jus an thought... We scoff at no named rappers attempts to get beats from us for free, even when they got talent. Who's to say rappers look don't at us the same?

They do. Put yourself in their shoes. You got $100 extra from your paycheck each week to put towards your music career. You have to pay to perform, pay for recording time, pay for flyers, features, etc etc. All your boys make beats, you can lease HOT shit from soundclick and pay those producers if and only if you sell more than like 2000 copies, and shif you prob have a ripped copy of fl studio on your labtop. You gonna buy a beat from someone with no track record who you have no relationship with??

Its not ideal for us or the picture you have about producing when you get into it but its the reality of the market right now, at least where I live.

Back