Setup help. [Hardware vs Controllers]

aRboogie

"THAT" GUY...
Whatsup fellas, quick question:

I use to own the NI Traktor Kontrol S4, but had to sell it due to $ complications at the time. Now i got $ saved back up, but the thing i wanted to know is, if its better for me to buy actual hardware like pioneer equipment?

Side-note, I DJ house music.
(and i mean personally, i like the whole going thru your laptop thing..if that makes a difference lol)
any advice is appreciated, thanks

I personally have both. I like to have the option of just the laptop midi controller (Akai MPD 32) combination for smaller venue setps, or gigs that don't pay very much. I started with Turntables, gemini then upgraded to techniques. Slowly but surely converted to the CDJ 1000 and now I also have a Denon 3700. The bottom line is unless you scratch or backspin (now called beat jugglin) you don't really need a controller like that. Yes, the are better for live mixing because of adjusting the pitch with the wheel in real time, but the software alone gives one enough tools to mix smooth. Presentation wise just a controller and a laptop does look lame to some. Bottom line is if the party is rocking no one s really going to care. Experienced Dj's may turn their noses up when they see you, but the same was done for those of us who were the first to rock the pioneers sooo in the end, what are you most comfortable with? It is not the tool that defines the artist, but rather the artist using a tool to define oneself.

the kontrol s4 is a great choice for house and any other electronic genre. i would say get it because its expandable, and you can always pair any extra hardware stuff with controllers. thats what most people(including myself) do anyway.

Back