settings to make vocals sound brighter

Mofoman

preferably after they are recorded. are there specific compression or EQ settings, or reverb or whatever effects i can add change or switch to give my vocal tracks a more commercial feel to them. i know this is hard to answer and it varies from setup to setup, but i was wondering were their any guidelines you guys use under almost any conditions that i could use to improve the quality of my recordings?

I usually just cut the lows a bit and maybe add a tiny-teeny boost to the mid-highs, and go with a light reverb. I don't remember the exact freqs to cut/boost, but it's pretty easy to find the sweetspot just by sweeping the EQ around...

Boost a bit (to taste) between 8-12k which should make the vocal brighter. anywhere around 150-250 can be boosted to put it up in front a little more.

Good equipment is generally the only way to make things sound "commercial"....Its the difference between hearing a recording which you immediately can tell is just 'mediocre' vs. something that sounds very pristine and more "commercial".

A good Mic, pre-amp, compressor and EQ (added after the recording to sweeten them up) are crucial in the process of obtaining that....there's a reason people record through $10,000 dollar mics. (not saying its necessary, just a point)

Maybe im stating the obvious, but alot of cats come in here and say they want their recordings to sound more commercial, yet they're using a $100-200 condensor mic and recording through a soundblaster soundcard. Work with what you have by all means, but You have to realize this is not how a commercial sound you are used to hearing is achieved, no matter what you do to it after the fact.....Expensive equipment isnt always the key.....just in most cases ;)

food for thought n all that-

I do belive it's in the mic pre. Especially the avalon compressor, it just has that certain amount of distortion. But to answer your question I do belive Ebb stated what is probably happening. You put junk in you get junk out. Each mic has a different characteristic. So an eq setting can't be constant with every mic. Like krushing said do a sweep to find where your mic might be lagging. An almost great mic with a great mic pre coupled with a compressor and eq is the best way to achieve superb results.

Last edited:
try to use EQ subtractively......

If you need to brighten up your vocals, pull out a little bottom end, rather than pull up some top end.

Good luck!

Dont add too much EQ, the human voice is the most natural sound and the human ear can detect when its been tampered with.

I believe the pre can brighten it up without introducing un-natural sonics.

Ebbiguise555 had it right saying that your input chain is extremely important.

I'm gonna have to play Devil's advocate here and disagree with Man_Unlimited and say that I don't like the Avalon compressor at all. To my ears, it just doesn't do "that thing" that I want my vocal comp to do. I'd choose an LA-2a any day.

If you're stuck with tracks that are already recorded, you could try upward expansion of the treble range with a multiband dynamics processor - so it boosts the treble when the signal is quiet (for a more "present" intimate sound) but backs off the high EQ when the singer gets loud (to avoid sounding shrill).

Try splitting your signal onto two tracks (if your software supports latency compensation), and send one of 'em thru an Aural Exciter. Turn the volume of the Excited track way down in comparison to the other track.

jasedee has a good point, too, with suggesting that you use EQ subtractively. Sounds better, and you develop better mixing habits, too.

-Hoax

Back