Setting Up Acoustic Panels.

jeepz

iAmJeepz.com
Could use a bit of advice from those a bit more experienced than I.

I am using a bedroom, 12ft x 13ft (with 8ft. ceilings).

I am limited in space so the workspace needed to go into a corner.

I have set up two panels behind and one panel on the closest wall beside the desk to deal with the more prominent first reflections (2ft x 2ft x 2" Auralex Wedgies).

I have one panel left. (Though not opposed to getting more if absolutely necessary).

I also have a mic stand in the opposite corner with a Voxguard attached around the mic for recording vocals.

My questions are the following:

1) Should I concern myself too much with treating the first reflections from the wall behind me (6ft behind listening position and 8-9ft from monitor? Same with the furthest side wall (about 8ft from listening position)? I read a few places that beyond 5 ft., the reflections are negligible.

2) The listening position is about 4, 4 and a half ft. from the ceiling. Can I get away with not placing panels above? or at the very least can I just lay some regular foam I have laying around?

3) I have a window on the closest side wall so a mere few feet away. It is not within any "First Reflections" area. Because of this, can I get away with simply hanging a heavier blanket on the curtain rod when I am mixing?

4) And lastly, does having a Voxguard set up on the mic stand mean the only reflections I should really be worried about would be those from behind? It arcs around the mic so in theory would isolate from those on the sides and from the front? If so, am I best to have the mic facing the wall at the furthest position from the opposite wall? Or have it facing the room with the back being a closet filled with clothes (Which absorbs also?)?

If anyone can guide me that would be awesome! I find there is some conflicting info out there, and I am lacking in any formal experience/knowledge.

Last edited:
Hi Jeepz,

Hopefully I can help with some of your questions -

a) First reflection points are exactly that, the first reflection points. you can ascertain where they are by using the mirror technique (ie put a mirror to the speaker and see where they point to). Your reflection points are going to be to the side and above the speakers. The back wall is not a first reflection point. However, back wall reflections can give you many problems with bass. A bass trap on this wall is recommended
b) Clouds are recommended but are not always necessary
c) Yes, you can with the window. Be great if you could put a diagram of your room up on here

Hope this helps a bit

Hi Sheggs! I'm just in a quick hurry but will get back to you after class. Here is a quick mock up of the room.
It's 13 ft long, 12 ft wide. 8 ft ceiling.
Blue are the monitors (and mic).
Red are first reflection spots as far as I can tell.
At the moment, I have 4 2x2x2" panels to play with.
I put up generic foam on the ceiling to slightly remedy that point.

Here is a quick mockjeepz studio room.jpg

As for your suggestion to put bass traps, as the back wall is not a reflection point, should I still be putting a panel or two up behind the monitors?

Behind the monitors is probably a good idea, and Shegg's suggestion for bass traps (in corners) is also a great idea.

BTW, the corner is possibly the worst place to set-up your control area and monitors, but sometimes we have to deal with the space we have...

GJ

Behind the monitors is probably a good idea, and Shegg's suggestion for bass traps (in corners) is also a great idea.

BTW, the corner is possibly the worst place to set-up your control area and monitors, but sometimes we have to deal with the space we have...

GJ

I agree. Bookcase and Desk should trade places.

The problem with that is, and that I didn't properly indicate in the diagram, is that the desk is sort of L-Shaped. If I put it where the desk is, I have no walking access to the bookcase where I keep records, and it breaks my room in half.

can you put the bed on the short wall opposite the window and then put the desk in front of the window???

No can do either.. The closet it there. Maaaan I had the master bedroom before and had it made! This small room is proving quite difficult!

The first rule to getting good sound is positioning. Ideally you want to

a) Face the short wall
b) Create symmetry where your speakers are

It would be ideal if your listening position could be moved. If it can't then it can still be worked around it is just going to be harder.

If you have to stay where you are, then you definitely need to get treatment on the wall behind you and plenty of it. Bass traps in the corners (*can be where the ceiling meets the walls also would be ideal. I wouldn't worry too much abut the door.
The other key reflection point on there not marked is above your listening position, it would be great if you could get a cloud up

Last edited:
Alright thanks for all the feedback guys!

What I have gone and done was treated the wall behind me with two panels. Placed one on the wall behind the monitors, and the last one on the closest wall directly to my right by the window. I've placed some "regular" foam above me on the ceiling for now to absorb some sound. I have a thick blanket to hang on the window curtain rod when I am mixing as well.

I will be on the look out for decent deals on Bass Traps, something more appropriate for the ceiling, possibly a few more panels, and a new desk that may allow me to shift a few things around in the room.

Really appreciate the input - The science of acoustics can be pretty intimidating and costly.

It sounds noticeably better for sure. I reference checked a few tracks I had previously mixed and the errors I had noticed in hindsight, were a bit more clear in this listening environment.

It's hard to compare too much as I had not done any recording or mixing in the new room, but a step forward it seems like!

I can already notice more clarity in the low end, for starters.

Back