Serato / Ableton Bridge.

dannypdj

www.djdannyp.com
Hi guys,

I am about to set off on a new journey in my career, that journey would be the "Live Show / Set". I have done some research and for what I want to do the best option I have come across is Searto running the bridge add on into ableton linked through a controller...

So yesterday I went out and brought myself a new Macbook Pro, Serato SL3 & a novation launch pad. I already own a copy of Ableton live 8 which I will be using for this.

My question is, has anyone used this before? any tips, tricks? looks pretty straight forward from what I can see and looking forward to the new challenge.

I would love to add Ableton to a set, but unfortunately I'm too dense to figure it out. I learn best by watching and nobody around my area has or uses ableton. Bunch o' cheapos! But I can see the extensive possibilities available with this and can only imagine the creative works that could be produced with a live set while using both. I've seen guys do it, just too dumb to do it myself... (wonder if the rave scene in my younger years was to blame?)

coming from just DJing into production, It's reallllllly powerful being able to drop in my own drums and and synth pieces etc into sets for interludes and/or choppin parts of songs if I don't want to use the whole thing. I dig it. I have an APC40 and am warming up the ableton set biz. Gotta say tho I love the feeling of turn tables tho and the much more direct on the fly control. in conjunction they are quite fun. having a little sampler to go along with it is fun too!

Although I don't know much about the bridge, or too much about Serato (I'm a Traktor user), I'd say preparation is key. Get ALL your clips/songs properly warped- it will take a while but will be worthwhile! I bought the APC 40 with intentions to switch from traditional 2-deck djing to the boundless possibilities of Ableton djing. I gotta say, I was a bit discouraged and abandoned the idea when I realized how much flexing and prep work would be involved. I felt like it was a bit impractical in terms of my style of DJing, but that was only from the Ableton-only standpoint. The Bridge seems like it could be a badass meeting of worlds, so take advantage of the sweet stuff you've got at your disposal! If you put in the hard work, it will definitely return reward.

Ableton is fly...what do ya'll like about it most???

I have used it for all of my production. I love the flexibility of it. I love how both you and I can make the same end result, but we got to that point in an entirely different manner. To me, it is the first DAW that I have put the time in to learn. So, I am seeing results, yet will never stop learning how to use the program.

I have wanted to start to use the bridge in my DJ sets to make some more on the fly remixes and be able to have more flexibility in the use of my turntables. I have not yet experimented but agree that there are many possibilities that make this setup appealing.

Ableton is fly...what do ya'll like about it most???

Ableton is pretty easy to sample with as it takes many formats and i can drop them right in from outside of the application. the clip view makes it real easy to try out different arrangements of the song and being able to copy and edit the clips is a good way to try different things on some bars with out compromising the old or saving and reopening etc. Initially it was a pain to learn, but ultimately I'm glad I took the time. I think reason comes with better stock sounds though... oh wait I can use rewire! lovin it...

Back