Sequencing on an Ancient G4 Powerbook

Ashley Pomeroy

First post. I use a Windows PC to make music, using a mixture of Audiomulch and Ableton Live. Out of nostalgia I recently bought a dirt-cheap old G4 PowerBook, because I've always wanted an old PowerPC Macintosh, and I wonder what kind of sequencing software would work with it. Out of nostalgia, mainly - for the novelty of it rather than seriously, but it would be amusing to squeeze music out of something so old, and of course people did back in the very early 2000s. It's basically the first-but-one titanium G4 running at 500mhz, the naff one with a VGA port and no built-in sound input.

It's way, way behind the curve and would have been obsolete in the mid-2000s; I don't expect miracles, in fact I would be surprised if it can run more than a couple of virtual instruments at once. However back in 2000, 2001 I remember using Cubase VST32 and earlier versions of Audiomulch on an old Pentium III and although I had to be very careful I could play live. In the blank space just below this paragraph there was a link to a track I recorded live way back in 2001 using Audiomulch, essentially sample playback and effects etc, which I can't post because it's my first message.

In retrospect it could have been half the length without losing anything; it's very static (Audiomulch has always had very limited sequencing, hence my move to Ableton). The Mac runs 10.4.11 Tiger with 1gb of memory. Reading through these forums and old issues of Sound on Sound it looks as if Notator Logic Pro 6 and early versions of Cubase SX were the standard back then and would at least run. I know very little about Sonar and ProTools. My hunch is that early versions of Albeton would work but they seem very limited compared to the Ableton I am familiar with. These very forums pointed me to a free version of Cubase LE 1.0.8 which I will have to try out. At a pinch I could simply use the machine as a MIDI sequencer, with old-fashioned physical instruments. Albeit that this version of the PowerBook doesn't have a built-in audio input, something I'll have to work with. Hopefully the Xonar U3 I have sitting around doing nothing has OS X drivers.

Obviously the logical solution is to toss the machine in the bin and forget about it, but that would be boring. eBay here in the UK has a boxed copy of Logic Pro 7, but my impression is that it won't work very well with a 500mhz G4. This raises the question of whether any of this old software is still on sale, or if (say) buying a licence for a modern lite version of Cubase lets me download older versions of the software.

Was there ever a Mac equivalent of Audiomulch? Did any of you play live or sequence with equivalent Macintosh hardware back in the day? How did you do it?

The main reason why people use old computers is to do the things modern computers are incapable of.....that's why I still use an Atari ST from time to time.....and up until it died recently I was still using my original Pentium which I used to run Cubase 3.0 back in the mid 90's, like even though it was underpowered by today's standards it was still useful for hosting SCSI samplers and big old ISA cards like the Roland RAP-10 as well as running software which just won't work on a modern machine.....Oh yeah and because it was so underpowered it was virtually silent, the CPU didn't even need a fan!

Anyway, what you want to go for is the stuff that we used back in the day which no longer works on a modern Mac for example Propellerhead's ReBirth is now free yet it will not run on a modern Mac, that's what makes having an old computer adventitious.....basically it's all about what you can do with legacy software and/or hardware that you can't do anymore........for example I use the old version of ReCycle because it supports hardware samplers, the new versions striped away this functionality.....same deal with stuff like Cubase's Interactive Phrase Synthesizer which was dropped.

Mac's are kind of notorious when it comes to backward compatibility, in fact I call that shit Mackwards compatibility, that's where you take your old Mac compatible software and peripherals and throw them away so you can buy a whole bunch of new shit to work with your new Mac.

"Macs are kind of notorious when it comes to backward compatibility"

The last time I used a Macintosh in anger was in the 1990s; it was a 68000-powered machine running System 6. As far as I can tell the modern Macintosh has absolutely nothing in common with the original, in fact it barely has anything in common with my G4. I think the oldest piece of software I use regularly on my Windows 7 machine is Cool Edit '95, from 1996, which I prefer to Audacity (mainly the interface).

Eventually the PowerBook arrived - it's actually one of the 667mhz "Onyx" models, with a 133mhz system bus. VGA out, only 256mb of memory. Roughly on a par with 1.2ghz Pentium III. I had a go with Cubase LE, which is much too limited and I've never particularly liked Cubase, and then bought a boxed copy of Logic Express 8. In theory this shouldn't work with a 667mhz Macintosh, but you can edit the preferences file to bypass this.

I've never used Logic before. It's not bad, some quirks. Even with 256mb of memory it worked without crashing. OS X 1.4 reminds me of Linux, but with some useful applications instead of thousands of text editors and file managers. As a VST/AU software instrument sequencer the G4 is basically useless unless you're very patient, because it can only run a couple of instruments at once. However it has no trouble playing back samples - my old Pentium II was more than enough for audio playback, which is why the old Akai rackmounts died off so quickly - and in the end I cheated a bit and used my ThinkPad X61 as a virtual instrument, playing M-Tron and Korg's VST Polysix live, plus my Korg MicroKorg. Here's a shot of the setup:

2pridyr.jpg

I've upgraded the hard drive - it had the original 20gb, 4200rpm model, which was noisy and slow. It takes up to 1gb of memory but alas this hasn't arrived yet. Pictured: Emu MIDI interface, Asus Xonar, old 1440x900 VGA monitor. Not pictured: ThinkPad X61, MicroKorg. I used Audiomulch on my Windows 7 box to process the beats.

And here's the result, brickwalled for maximum punch:

Contains a chunky sample of Ashera: Colour Glow, which if this was a commercial release I would be more than happy to donate a sum of cash. Or alternatively chop out and replace with something else. Midway there's a pretty brutal splice into part two; the Mac was starting to groan at that point.

On a rational level this whole project makes no sense (I could have used my Windows 7 machine) but it gave me a chance to find out what Logic is like. It's not bad; I might see if eBay has a cheap Mac Mini or something similar.

Back