Selling Beats Kind of Pointless

Hennyboy

I've been getting the vibe a little lately that selling beats when your at an amateur level is a little pointless. For instance, lately I've been selling beats for about $30-$50 my issue though that I always feel like sort of amateur/maybe bad rappers pick them up. My issue with this is that although Im gaining money Im getting the vibe if I keep this up I'll only be working with amateur rappers. Most of the good rappers I've branched out to aren't down to pay money for beats because they are so used to other producers giving them beats for free because they are good. I don't want to be working with bad rappers and staying in the same position, but I also don't want to be making beats for free. Has anyone been in a similar situation/What did you do to change it?

-Henn

Also included link for my beats

https://www.soundcloud.com/hennybeats

Yes! I feel exactly the same way, I haven't even tried selling beats because I know most of my sales will go to wack rappers/artists and I don't like that, that's why I would prefer to give my beats to good artists. The problem with that is you get no money... lol. I guess I am just hoping they blow up and take me with them but even still that's a huge long shot. Otherwise sending beats to major artists in hopes of a placement. It's rough out there though for sure.

this is where direct messaging and building a relationship with artists you feel should have your beats
I don't even offer exclusive beats for sale on my site because exclusive beats are meant for only a select few artists to hear

see I only sell my instrumentals to Christian Artists who are do only Christian music
so I'm in the same situation as you guys
you want only good rappers to sell to
I only want Christian rappers to sell to
so I came up with a plan that has work for me

1.direct messaging

2.build relationships (genuine)

3.running social media network campaigns(lead gathering and scheduled posts)
running ad in what you do after a while(but you have to be careful with Facebook ads sometimes they don't work correctly because of algorithms they use)

there are some other things I do but
I don't give those tips out for free sorry
I make extra money
by coaching others on Music Business techniques

Yea Im kinda leaning towards just building up a library of beats and not releasing shit then when I find artists I like a lot and working with them. How do you go about leases? Like about how much do you charge? If you sell a beat on lease can you sell it as an exclusive later? Theres just too many rules to the business side and I get annoyed sometimes

Back