Sell Beats? What do you do when....

JGrisly

The Redskin James Dean
This is your clientele, and the music thats coming from them. Or, rather, coming from you.

I mean lets be honest, you are blind to who your buyers are when selling through the internetz.
Some cats are the producer versions of street hookers, and will sell and/or collab with anyone. No quality standards.
Personally I dont get it.
What are your thoughts?

The people that make dope things with my beats/music I share it within my network/circle

If it's not in my world its non-existent

What if it caught on somewhere and he used only your beats on his cd and promoted you as much as he promoted himself?
What if his projects then attached themselves to your body of work, What would you do?

What if it caught on somewhere and he used only your beats on his cd and promoted you as much as he promoted himself?
What if his projects then attached themselves to your body of work, What would you do?

Listening to just the beat I have to say it doesn't excite me so I probably wouldn't make something like that....but if I did and I made decent money with it and they wanted to buy everything I made then I honestly would be looking into a secondary name for myself to produce under while still selling them the types of beats they wanted.

I know that sounds shitty but if one finances the other then so be it, I just know I would hate to get pigeon holed like that.

Listening to just the beat I have to say it doesn't excite me so I probably wouldn't make something like that....

Agreed. The beat is nothing special. It's just to serve an example...

but if I did and I made decent money with it and they wanted to buy everything I made then I honestly would be looking into a secondary name for myself to produce under while still selling them the types of beats they wanted.

I know that sounds shitty but if one finances the other then so be it, I just know I would hate to get pigeon holed like that.

Fair enough :cheers:

OK. So if you sell beats online, you can't kid yourself - Yes, you love music, and you want the quality of your end product/image to reflect that. But you sell beats, therefore you want money. You're operating as a business, whether you know it or not, or like it or not.

That said, a sale's a sale. I wouldn't even consider changing my whole name/network over something like that. If you don't want to sell beats to BANGS, then who are you waiting for? Drake? Nas? Eminem?

I don't think one project necessarily pigeon-holes you. If you don't have any other collabs, then you want to work on that. But anyone of importance (client, label, etc) who's judging you based on a track like that knows what's up. They'd know your beat was solid and the rapper failed.

This is your clientele, and the music thats coming from them. Or, rather, coming from you.

I mean lets be honest, you are blind to who your buyers are when selling through the internetz.
Some cats are the producer versions of street hookers, and will sell and/or collab with anyone. No quality standards.
Personally I dont get it.
What are your thoughts?

Say what you will, but ya boy Bangs has 9 Million youtube views, and has been doing commercial campaign work in various countries off this "crap".

He's making more money off his shitty, than you are off your "quality".

Say what you will, but ya boy Bangs has 9 Million youtube views, and has been doing commercial campaign work in various countries off this "crap".

Sure. But 8.8 of those 9 came from situations like this. Just look at the YT comments.

He's making more money off his shitty, than you are off your "quality".

Such an absolute statement with no perspective to back it up.
If his business sense is right, hes doing well, no doubt about that.

So you would work with this guy on a serious level j.troup?

Last edited:
HAHA I can't do nothing but laugh of this.

If there's one good thing, coming out of this oversaturation of rap music, its these corny ass ninjas who have no idea how terrible they are.

LMAO

I don't care who'd be using my music so long as their money folds.

Now whether or not I'd show dude my A+ material is another question..

business is business, if i did a track for a rapper, why would I be worried if his performance was underwhelming?
if im doing business and cant be there for recording, i have no way of controlling the outcome, so my only job is to provide the best beat possible.
how would it effect me negatively if i gave him a quality track?

I guess it depends on your goals. If you want to make quality music then maybe you'd have to turn some guys away. If you wanted the money and fame, how sick would you be if you turned down the next chief keef, soulja boy or lil b?! LOL

All pref. If a person is selling beats online...............as in trying to make money...........then he shouldn't give a damn as long as he is getting money. Nobody gives a damn about beats......it's a waste of time having your mind set on some kind of "quality product" when it comes to beats online. Dudes have some of the least commercial knockoffish sounding shit....made beats six months ago....and be killing these knock off ass dudes. They trying to get money, Other dudes be worried about competition and what's next and shit......like these average ass dudes really want dubtrapstepbahton beats.......nobody gives and shit except for the same circle of online beat sellers. They get jealous over that shit....."oh...o.k......I'm going to make a dancehalltrapcountry beat and kill them all.

Online beat selling dudes are the worst MFers on the planet. Be lying and faking sells and shit. Know good and damn well you only made $60 last month. They ain't worried about taxes. lol! What taxes? Fuuck they do that for? Because they care more about "competition and being s0omething they far from deserving" than they do making some got damn money.

I don't fuuck with neither b.s rappers or beatmakers online. Worst shit in the world. I congrat the real hustlers though. You never hear about them....because they don't give a fuuck about you or to know about you....they just want the money.

Now whether or not I'd show dude my A+ material is another question..

:cheers: That makes sense, But would you not put your A+ material on your "beat store"?

business is business, if i did a track for a rapper, why would I be worried if his performance was underwhelming?
if im doing business and cant be there for recording, i have no way of controlling the outcome, so my only job is to provide the best beat possible.
how would it effect me negatively if i gave him a quality track?

I guess that makes sense. Tho underwhelming does not do this example justice lol. I personally would not want my name attached to a laughing stock with little to no talent. Tho in the end, I suppose it could generate a lot of sales, which is the crux of the question. Artistic integrity or cash money? Either choice is good, one of them is just not for me I suppose.

how sick would you be if you turned down... lil b?! LOL

Been there, done that lol. Dudes a hack imo...

All pref. If a person is selling beats online...............as in trying to make money...........then he shouldn't give a damn as long as he is getting money. Nobody gives a damn about beats......it's a waste of time having your mind set on some kind of "quality product" when it comes to beats online. Dudes have some of the least commercial knockoffish sounding shit....made beats six months ago....and be killing these knock off ass dudes. They trying to get money, Other dudes be worried about competition and what's next and shit......like these average ass dudes really want dubtrapstepbahton beats.......nobody gives and shit except for the same circle of online beat sellers. They get jealous over that shit....."oh...o.k......I'm going to make a dancehalltrapcountry beat and kill them all.

Online beat selling dudes are the worst MFers on the planet. Be lying and faking sells and shit. Know good and damn well you only made $60 last month. They ain't worried about taxes. lol! What taxes? Fuuck they do that for? Because they care more about "competition and being s0omething they far from deserving" than they do making some got damn money.

I don't fuuck with neither b.s rappers or beatmakers online. Worst shit in the world. I congrat the real hustlers though. You never hear about them....because they don't give a fuuck about you or to know about you....they just want the money.

Aaaaaaannnd, Rice for the win....
More or less how i feel about it.

Been there, done that lol. Dudes a hack imo...

I agree bro BUT, what if the exposure from working with a whack rapper opens the door for you to work with several bigger artists that wouldn't have otherwise heard your music? You gotta have that vision to see the bigger picture. I think it's the same argument for doing work for "free". Will your sacrifice today, allow you to further your own career down the line?

I agree bro BUT, what if the exposure from working with a whack rapper opens the door for you to work with several bigger artists that wouldn't have otherwise heard your music? You gotta have that vision to see the bigger picture. I think it's the same argument for doing work for "free". Will your sacrifice today, allow you to further your own career down the line?

By the same token what if working with that person turned other artists off to using your work?

It can work for or against you in equal amounts and you take that risk based on your own judgement and end goals.

Back