Scratching on a belt-drive turntable...

Big Mak

Lyricist
Can it harm the belt? Or would it just sound bad?

I recently bought one for converting my old records, and I was just curious... I haven't tried.

I've read about scratching DJs only using direct-drive turntables, that's why I'm hesitant. I don't want to break anything.

Excuse me for sounding like an amateur... I am one.

The belt can pop off or break. That and there's not enough torque. Basically can't be done effectively while sounding good.

Can it harm the belt? Or would it just sound bad?

I recently bought one for converting my old records, and I was just curious... I haven't tried.

I've read about scratching DJs only using direct-drive turntables, that's why I'm hesitant. I don't want to break anything.

Excuse me for sounding like an amateur... I am one.

Uhhhhh get Direct Drive. If you wanna try and use a belt drive I suggest removing the belt and just free hand playing with the record. But that still the platform wobbles from side to side. What Renaissance31 said is about best put. Good luck.

Belt drive tables are for old men who want to listen to old 45's..There simply isnt enough power for them o be up to par with any direct drive turntable. SImply put, i think i would rather have a set of direct drive technics from the 80's than a set of brand new 2010 belt driven tables. all day

it can be done as thats how i first learnt the basics of scratching on my bros belt drives back in the early 90's,but youl need to have a super light touch and maybe a pound coin on top of the needle cartridge! :)

What has been said is the truth. If you have to do it get one or 2 butter rugs under your slipmat and try to not stop the platter when you stop the record.

I upgraded my decks last year from belt drive, makes a world of difference! Went cheap with a stanton T.80 but throw some butter rugs on yeah and keep your fader lubed up lol

the old trick I've seen is a plastic grocery bag over the slip mat (cut the same size as the slip mat) and a lite touch

it can be done as thats how i first learnt the basics of scratching on my bros belt drives back in the early 90's,but youl need to have a super light touch and maybe a pound coin on top of the needle cartridge! :)

indeed i learned on belt drives too. it can be done, t requires more patience and a very light touch. you have to really be dedicated to the scratch thing if you're using belt drives but you learn to appreciate differences in gear from having the experience...

Back