Scott Storch talks Dr. Dre, Detox and 50 Cent

I don't know why he wants to bring that era back, with the pianos I/V turnarounds. That shit is dated, and as soon as people hear it, they laugh. Every time 50 drops a record like that, it tanks. Every time Game drops a record like that, it tanks.

That era is gone. Storch is an excellent example for producers. A lot of people want to "make it" in the industry and produce music as a career. But guys like Storch, RZA, BattleCat, Quik, Eric Sermon, really show how difficult it is for a producer to have longevity. Producers craft a certain sound and can define an entire generation with their music, but soon get typecast into that "sound." Ten years down the line, people don't want to hear that style from any of these producers. It wont sell; and a producer that can't adapt and change his style gets stuck without any work for hire.

I think Dre is having that issue right now. It's hard for him to adapt to the influence of the south and EDM.

it looks like he is back, but his style of his productions has changed, his old stuff was better

it looks like he is back, but his style of his productions has changed, his old stuff was better
I agree

and I honestly don't give a **** if that style is watered down or whatever, fact is, Dre could bring it back with ease solely because he's such a big fish in the industry that he can pretty much turn the entire shit around and with that being said just annihalate faggots such as Pitbull and Chief Keef and all this new trap, techno bullshit that took over the mainstreme scene
I think the reason why it's taking him so long is because he's probably trying to somehow re-invent his sound to match today's music, which is pretty hard seeing as how back when Dre was at the top of his game, back in the 90's and early 00's while Em and 50 were coming up, when someone would say "check this rap song out", you'd immediately think of sick ass drums, crazy pianos, violins and sick ass rhymes, nowadays you think "OMG WHICH POP SINGER AND TECHO DJ ARE FEATURED ON IT???" lol, shit's changed, **** bubble gum rap

I agree

and I honestly don't give a **** if that style is watered down or whatever, fact is, Dre could bring it back with ease solely because he's such a big fish in the industry that he can pretty much turn the entire shit around and with that being said just annihalate faggots such as Pitbull and Chief Keef and all this new trap, techno bullshit that took over the mainstreme scene
I think the reason why it's taking him so long is because he's probably trying to somehow re-invent his sound to match today's music, which is pretty hard seeing as how back when Dre was at the top of his game, back in the 90's and early 00's while Em and 50 were coming up, when someone would say "check this rap song out", you'd immediately think of sick ass drums, crazy pianos, violins and sick ass rhymes, nowadays you think "OMG WHICH POP SINGER AND TECHO DJ ARE FEATURED ON IT???" lol, shit's changed, **** bubble gum rap

this !

I completely disagree with other dude that said the 2001 music is outdated. Really ? It SHITS on today's hip-hop.

Let this shit knock....

What producer today makes shit just close to how hard this goes ?

fuk outta here mane

that young world track is ill, I heard it before on my phone but damn sounds way harder on headphones

i think scott storch style is not outdated, i know enough DJs & clubs who play his old sick beats and i dont know a producer who has done harder & better beats than him

its true that the RAP sound has changed, looks like he try now to create this new sound too

Fact is, that he have worked with the most successfull artists on the the earth look at his credit list and has earned over 470million $ in his career

he has done a lot of mistakes like drugs, alcohol, lost money and so on, but everyone is making mistakes and every career has and end, there is no one who makes 80years business

this !

I completely disagree with other dude that said the 2001 music is outdated. Really ? It SHITS on today's hip-hop.

Let this shit knock....

What producer today makes shit just close to how hard this goes ?

fuk outta here mane

There's always going to be a handful of people that want to revitalize that era and bring the music back. The truth is, it just wont sell in today's market. That record you just put up is classic "Chronic 2001" sound. If you release an album of that style of music, it won't get pushed. Dre has released a handful of records to test the market, and they haven't done as well as he'd liked. That's probably his hesitation of trying to bring that sound back.

I garauntee there is a chunk of hiphop fans that want to bring G-Funk back, or BoomBap back, etc. Even those fans believe that G-Funk shits on any of today's music. That's simply an opinion....and it's one that I won't/cant argue. But if you released a classic Warren G album in today's market, it wouldn't do well in any sense. That's NOT an opinion.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

i think scott storch style is not outdated, i know enough DJs & clubs who play his old sick beats and i dont know a producer who has done harder & better beats than him

its true that the RAP sound has changed, looks like he try now to create this new sound too

Fact is, that he have worked with the most successfull artists on the the earth look at his credit list and has earned over 470million $ in his career

he has done a lot of mistakes like drugs, alcohol, lost money and so on, but everyone is making mistakes and every career has and end, there is no one who makes 80years business

I'm not arguing whose beats are "harder or better." Those are opinions. We're talking about record sales in today's market, which can easily be quantified and measured. "Harder and Better" are not things that can be quantified. I'm sure some people think Weird Al goes harder than 50cent. That's why these opinions are meaningless.

"there is no one who makes 80years business"

Quincy Jones and Rick Rubin have had singles on the charts for over 30 years of music. Rick Rubin produced for LL in 1984, and for Adele, Jay Z and Metallica in 2000-beyond. Dre has an excellent track record as well. There have been very few in the game that have been able to adapt with the times and continued to evolve as producers/musicians/engineers. My point was that when producers get stuck to a "sound" and try to revitalize that sound-decades later- they are going to find that the industry, market, and consumers have long left them on their own.

As far as Storch's financial/drug problems; that has nothing to do with my post. I'm not sure why that was brought up.

I'm not arguing whose beats are "harder or better." Those are opinions. We're talking about record sales in today's market, which can easily be quantified and measured. "Harder and Better" are not things that can be quantified.

i was talking about his production style not about record sales

dont know if you have a view about soundscan, but which statistic can say who has the best record sales?

Quincy Jones and Rick Rubin have had singles on the charts for over 30 years of music. Rick Rubin produced for LL in 1984, and for Adele, Jay Z and Metallica in 2000-beyond. Dre has an excellent track record as well. There have been very few in the game that have been able to adapt with the times and continued to evolve as producers/musicians/engineers

i agree with you that there are some business people who are grown on themselves and change and go with the new sound,but the other question is, if their fans like this, if someone asks me, i dont like this

just an expample, snoop dog our old rabbit gangster rapper, very successfull over 20 years, do you have listen to his latest album in the genre reggae,dont know what happened to him, i dont know who buy this reggae shit, but his new music is dead for me now

Last edited:
i was talking about his production style not about record sales

dont know if you have a view about soundscan, but which statistic can say who has the best record sales?

i agree with you that there are some business people who are grown on themselves and change and go with the new sound,but the other question is, if their fans like this, if someone asks me, i dont like this

just an expample, snoop dog our old rabbit gangster rapper, very successfull over 20 years, do you have listen to his latest album the in genre reggae, i dont know who buy this reggae shit, but his new music is dead for me

The term "Best" in this thread is a matter of opinion. There is no such thing as "Best Record Sales." There are only number of record sales, and that's what I'm discussing. If Storch released an album full of that C2k1 sound, I believe that it would fail in today's market. You may think that the beats go hard or are dope, but it simply wouldn't push units in today's market.

As far as Snoop, I don't particularly care for Reggae but that's just me. I wouldn't call his move-adapting to the times-because Reggae is not that popular on his former stations. If he started doing tracks with Calvin Harris, Deadmau5, EDM producers, I would consider it adapting. I'm not saying this would be a good career move either.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

You think Detox won't outsell 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne ?

We have no idea who/what is on Detox. How could I even make that prediction?

Considering Dre's standards and the way he changed the entire rap game with the chronic it seems quite unrealistic for him to sell less than 2chainz or these other new school phags

The term "Best" in this thread is a matter of opinion. There is no such thing as "Best Record Sales."

lol, i mean who has the most record sales not the best record sales

Considering Dre's standards and the way he changed the entire rap game with the chronic it seems quite unrealistic for him to sell less than 2chainz or these other new school phags

Dre could release Detox, and the album could sound nothing like C2K1; or maybe only have 1-2 records that have that sound. If Dre was somehow able to forge a new sound, or to adapt to current sound, I think a Detox album would do excellent.

^^^^

From the songs that leaked it seems to have a more techno like sound. He definitely been switching it up.

I think Kush was close to that classic 2001 sound. But it didn't really had that big impact similair to Still Dr Dre. I think Dre was testing those records to see the responds.
Cause after Kush, I Need a Doctor came, and speculations were that the album was almost done, wich hasn't been put out.

I think, and especially in todays era, it's really important to create something that sounds like you, since everybody is already sounding the same.
If i was in his shoes and dropped an incredible album like The Chronic 2001, i would damn well try to top that and come up with something that's going to impact the world once again.

But then again, it's not easy.
It's almost like, you made a incredible track or beat and instantly when you're working on a new track, you thinkin " i wanna top that last joint".

We all have that mindstate.

I liked all the leaks so far

I only fear that he'll put Wayne on the album...

I wouldn't have a problem with that if Wayne was on some "Neck of The Woods" type of shit but nowadays just no..

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

I think Kush was close to that classic 2001 sound.
I wish that was Nate Dogg on there instead of Akon

I wasn't a big fan of "I Need a Doctor" solely because Eminem came on with his new aggressive style, he was aggressive before too but it sounded way better(listen to "The Way I Am" to see what I mean

Dre is in a tough spot...

if he puts out an album sounding like Chronic and 2001, he will be criticized for his "outdated" sound

if he does put out an album to match current times he will be criticized for "falling off" and "selling out"

The problem with Dre is that he took way too long to drop music, not only did he take too long but when was the last time you heard records even produced by Dr Dre?

Kush, Popped Off, Die Hard, the instudio one on this thread, and that one that plays on the Chrysler ad were all hot songs... I Need a Doctor and Under Pressure in the other hand were pretty mediocre.

He needs to give us something though, cause this shit is just ridiculous.

Dre is in a tough spot...

if he puts out an album sounding like Chronic and 2001, he will be criticized for his "outdated" sound

if he does put out an album to match current times he will be criticized for "falling off" and "selling out"

The problem with Dre is that he took way too long to drop music, not only did he take too long but when was the last time you heard records even produced by Dr Dre?

Kush, Popped Off, Die Hard, the instudio one on this thread, and that one that plays on the Chrysler ad were all hot songs... I Need a Doctor and Under Pressure in the other hand were pretty mediocre.

He needs to give us something though, cause this shit is just ridiculous.

Agree with everything but your last line. He doesn't need to give us shit! He can live off his endorsement deal alone. Actually, he can live off his catalog alone!

Back