Sampling Techniques?

ASAPChegs1

I have a Maschine Mikro with a lot of cool interesting beats and I have a huge problem: I do not know how to sample. I mean I can sample, but I cannot chop the samples up. I never know where to start, how to make two different chops sound right, and how to end it and its frustrating. Please if you guys have any tips, I'm really curious to see why you guys do when your sampling on any program your using. Thanks.

Sampling help

I have a Maschine Mikro with a lot of cool interesting beats and I have a huge problem: I do not know how to sample. I mean I can sample, but I cannot chop the samples up. I never know where to start, how to make two different chops sound right, and how to end it and its frustrating. Please if you guys have any tips, I'm really curious to see why you guys do when your sampling on any program your using. Thanks.

Try finding a 4 bar phrase of music you like. Chop the bar into 4 equally sized pieces and play them in a different order than they appeared in the original. Then try to find your own groove entirely by pressing the different notes more than once. Also, leaving empty space allows you to change the groove too so don't overlook it.

Puffins

Also, not sure if the terminology is the same for maschine, but make sure your choke groups are all the same so the samples dont play over one another (unless you want them to)

The thing about sampling and chopping is there will be a lot of stuff that sounds like it would be usable, but for whatever reason it just doesn't make a good sample. The best way I found to learn was just to recreate classic beats. You get a feel for why those were good samples which makes it easier to know when to just throw something away. It's called digging because it's hard work just going through things and discarding them until you find a gem. It'll be frustrating because you'll go through tons of dope music that you just can't do anything with.

Start with simple samples. Like a piano riff or something. I agree find popular samples that have been flipped and study how they were chopped up.

my tips is, listen to the bassline and try not to cut in the middle of one. Always cut at the beginning so every chop will start with your bass line in the right place. Or listen to the drum. Think about the song in term of loops, and try to find where the loop starts and end, or if you hear a sound that you feel could be repeated non stop cause you like it..cut it and loop it.

Or you can just take 2 second cuts,, like in this song https://soundcloud.com/alwaysskilled/as-509 , what I did, I only cut the parts in the sample where the chick is taking her breath between her lines and I placed them on the intro of the beat.

you can do wtv you want as long as it sounds good, is on tempo and make sense.

First thing I would suggest is to create a sampling notebook to write down any useful techniques, I would also recommend leaving space at the front or back of the book for sampling formulas like how to determine loop lengths based on BPM, how to determine BPM by length, how to calculate time stretching percentages etc.

Start by learning how to accurately determine the BPM of the material you are sampling, I use a stopwatch myself but most cats use tap-tempo, next learn how to cut loops properly so the length matches the BPM, like if your source material is 95 BPM cut that one bar loop so it's 2.526 seconds long.......forget trying to reference a loop between two points you are shifting around, that's a shit idea. The idea is to create a proper loop which can be used as a triggered one shot, chopped to bits as well as run autonomously in synchronization for as long as a note is held....you can't do that last one if you cut shit rough.

You want to wrap your head around all this shit from the start because it saves you all kinds of headaches down the road.

Back