sampling other producers drums...is it moral?

thread title

• yeah perfectly fine, they sampled theres the hypocrites

Votes: 89 59.3%
  • i disagree with somebody just sampling them dry, but i dont mind

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • this damn fence hurts

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • please there are so many drums out there why touch a producers?

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • biting is the worse thing you could ever do

Votes: 14 9.3%

• Total voters
I see your point, but to me it seems a bit elitist (I don't even know if that is the word but...lol). I get the whole old school remembering the roots of hip hop and that, and I love it/advocate of it. But i also believe strongly that you should make good music, rather than trying to stay rooted to the "rules" of whatever genre. There shouldn't be any rules in creativity. This is why I failed in art in school, because I was limited to the rules of the class and had to draw flower pots on tables.. wtf..
i hear u but at the same time it is what is. What separates a rock record from a country record from a jazz record to a rap record? every genre has lines to color inside of. If we scribbed most people wouldn't f*ck with it no matter how creative you swear it is. How many of us would listen to a rap record and actually enjoy it if it was just a string section? Most of us wouldn't because its missing the elements that make hip hop what it is. Thats why I always talk down on cats who focus on their pretty ass melodies hip hop has a sound and it aint got a damn thing to do with pretty ass melodies. If you want to go make some pretty ass melodies to bang your girl to I aint mad at that but go make an r&b record. Hell we need some good r&b in this world they are hurting even more than hip hop right now. Hip Hop has a sound to it and if you don't follow the rules of hip hop you probably aren't making hip hop or at least very good hip hop. I see your pov though I used to think that way and made beats that way and nobody bought that shit or wanted to hear it because it didn't feel like or sound like hip hop

co sign xabiton

creativity is all good and what not, but as pooh once said, fame:

And as I got older I begin to understand
That dreams do change, goals rearranged
It's no longer fame I aspire to attain
Cause fame is a drain where your morals get flushed
Values get crushed and we no longer trust
What got us here in the first place

Basically hip hop got so big that artists ended up figurin it aint arty enough
that they needed to do sumthing new, different
why do u think there are so many genres and so many mash-up (limp bizkit and L. Park)
But thats cool...cause its a part of culture

but in the same way that jazz was looked down upon by the tourch bearers of classical...

in the same vain matelic and rock and roll was shunded and changed and 'evolved'...

rap is going through that...think about this, rock became rock and roll, which then went unplugged and had ppl playing ballads with accoustic guitars...rock is about riffs and what not

thats the same way rap is about that quintessential sampled sound...mainly soul and funk and prog rock...but it generally hangs around there

now u got a swingin pic string melody on a single scale with a single note change and an 808 drum or two...thats hip hop

hip hop was hoodies and ish...i think i lost the topic

basically, its ool to sample other producers's drumz, sh*t, i sample scratches cause i cant scratch 4 sh*t and fl scratcherwave traveller I aint da energy 4.

Sample away...thats what sampling is...its like saying puffy's way of samplin is not cool when u compare to dr. dre's interpolation style

but that simply two ides of the sample droopy breast

The cynic might say "sample what you like, no-one ever gonna hear your sht anyway." But I say "think how many people sampled the melvin bliss synthetic substitution break by actually sampling the intro to ultra magnetic mcs ego trippin' track. Most of the hip hop early after 1988 where you here the melvin bliss drums actually sampled off ultramagnetic as they didn't have the original. But no-one would call Rza's use of the drums on 36 chambers biting would they???"

Last edited:
SkiBeatz-Dead Presidents sampled A Tribe Called Quest drums. Sample what you want. If its tight, I dont think it'll matter. Kanye West--"I basically just bit the drums off of Xplosive."

the only thing that matters is the final product.. if it's dope, then i dont care about nothing else..

SkiBeatz-Dead Presidents sampled A Tribe Called Quest drums. Sample what you want. If its tight, I dont think it'll matter. Kanye West--"I basically just bit the drums off of Xplosive."
i think kanye meant he used the pattern in most of his early beats.

good thread well done to the OP.........

anyways why i started the thread is because as a homage i used the drums from the message. just used it as a one shot and then sampled the snare again with a bit of reverb....i got a lecture from a guy who will stay nameless who told me about me biting.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

i think kanye meant he used the pattern in most of his early beats.

good thread well done to the OP.........

anyways why i started the thread is because as a homage i used the drums from the message. just used it as a one shot and then sampled the snare again with a bit of reverb....i got a lecture from a guy who will stay nameless who told me about me biting.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think Kanye used the pattern and the drums off Xxplosive on the Scarface joint...Just eq'd differently

Word? I listend to the the Xxplosive instrumental 10 times and never found open drums, is it just me or did i miss them?

I just went and listened too. I know the drums are the same but either he flitered out the guitars of XXplosive or he just did the pattern manually by himself

nah its just lazy,, if u gotta sample other drums then u lack the talent too make ur own .

I don't see a problem with it at all. I would have a problem with someone reconstructing (copy) the drums.

It doesn't matter, really.. all those sample packs are useless.. I at time cut drums from records and mix them down to my desire.. Everybody had used the same drums at some point..I actually have a real snare that I build snare sounds from..

I mean it starts from an actual drum set anyway.. Drums are just Drums..

www.soundclick.com/trumptiteproductions

For years Producers have used the exact same breakbeats over and over. How many times has "synthetic substitution" been used?? too many, yet no one ever really cared.

Nothing wrong with it. You will end up tweaking them to match the rest of the music anyway. It's all about context.

I've had very little success using other producers' drums though, so I dig for my own sounds.

Last edited:
Back