Sampling Music!!!! Important Fact For Artist!!!! Note!!! VS Major Label!!!

terry1982

Artist are very important to the music industry. In my personal opinion, artist are the forefront of the business. But Guess What!!!!

Major Labels use money (or should i say blind greed) just to lure up and coming hot artist to their roster.

Important Note: The information I am providing is for the benefit of artist and producers. (Future Producers)

In my opinion, I feel like I need to say something and hope up and coming artist and producers read my post. All up and coming artist and producers need to understand what they are really worth.

Note: I am going to post a new thread on information about the industry that is critical (Very Helpful) to artist and producers.

Now lets get to the subject matter, (SAMPLING).

I've been wanting to release how I really felt towards artist sampling other people music for labels. (Note: Keyword-Major Labels)

Artist/Producers Please Note:

Major labels make 10 times more than what you think off sampling music. Major artist do not even know that. Major label execs feed major artist what they want to hear (Money #1) in order to financially win.

Why do artist think major labels are the key to success?

Note: I can't figure it out!!! Really!!!

Last edited:
Rappers see signed cats in videos with rents cars/jewels and think that they got the money from the major deal. You're right: there's more potential for the artist to make $$ going indy. Immortal Technique made like $400k off of Revolutionary Vol 2.

Otoh, going indy means more more work distributing and promoting.

The tide is turning against the major labels.

Look at the growing number of established artists who are going independent. The internet is a game changer and the industry is nervous about that so they are attempting to make themselves as necessary as they can for as long as they can. There are now so many ways to get your shit out there instantly and to a global audience within seconds of final edits...in your home...with your computer...self taught... It takes the control away from them which is a good thing IMO.

I think it is still being pushed by us older cats who still have the mentality that the record labels hold all the answers and are the goal, so we pass that along (well some do). Not altogether wrong because they have decades of contract writing experience, lawyers on staff, entire dedicated venues to perform at, entire promotions departments at a moments notice, transportation divisions and so on...and we got Benny who once tookk a class on HTML he slept through and a cracked copy of (insert software here). So they kind of do have all the answers for the right person, and the right person may want fame more than money so they skip a lawyer review of the contract or worse get a shitty lawyer because they got dreams of being the next Jay-Z when their contract reads like TLC.

I ramble, but point being it is going to take a bit more advancement of what can be done without them or any ties to them before they are no longer relevant.

Back