Sampling is Outdated???

MySpace Gangsta

These days with cheap keyboards and VSTs there no need to sample anymore, plus you got composers running around saying sampling is wack and it takes no talent.....

So is sampling outdated???

Don't get me wrong, I sample myself and my favorite beats are sampled, but it seems like every1 is against sampling these days....

it'll never die.. u just gotta flip it right. recent samples i've heard that were flipped well were "gotta stay fly" and "throw some d's". someone recently posted a pussycat dolls hit that was a sampled radio hit. another one was gym class heroes - chokehold that was a top 10 single and sampled/covered.

There is no such thing man... These composers that are raving about it being outdated probably listen to some sampled music and dont even know its sampled.

Sampling doesnt mean you have to take a whole loop, or even an entire bar. I sometimes chop into individual notes and create my own melody just because i like the sounds, and alot of producers do this.

Is that not composing but only with the freedom to get sounds from anywhere i please? You dont have to be a sampler, or a composer, focus on becoming a musician.

I really don't like sampling that much cause if I make a hot sampled beat, I want all the money to come to me at then end of the day. You get that when ya compose.

It takes alot of money to make hot compostions, which is why hiphop was created from samples. It doesnt take much to record a drumset and put each sound on a different pad.

Id ont have to have a garage to practice in, a band and a few g's worth of instruments, i can be the one man band.

Singing lessons cost alot, story telling in a rhythmic fashion does not.

Keep in mind, that with the evolution of technology, most of the somposing you are doing is with samples or synths.

Even now, those quality sounds cost big $, you have to go get that motif or that triton to get those good quality "sampled" sounds or synths. With a few exceptions, vst synths are pure garbage. So the same ideal returns....

Money vs. No Money

What do you do.

its just a change of the times. sampling comes in and out. remember when swiss beats first came out everyone threw out their samplers and started buying Trinitys then when The Blueprint came out everyone started sampling again and then when storch started doin it big they came back with the keyboards basically its just trends like anything else. right now i prefer to make my own instruments with samples to get the sound of sampling but the ease of clearance.

rando said:
I really don't like sampling that much cause if I make a hot sampled beat, I want all the money to come to me at then end of the day. You get that when ya compose.

That's the problem. People focusing on money so much is taking away from the art.

SomOne said:
It takes alot of money to make hot compostions, which is why hiphop was created from samples. It doesnt take much to record a drumset and put each sound on a different pad.

Id ont have to have a garage to practice in, a band and a few g's worth of instruments, i can be the one man band.

Keep in mind, that with the evolution of technology, most of the somposing you are doing is with samples or synths.

Even now, those quality sounds cost big $, you have to go get that motif or that triton to get those good quality "sampled" sounds or synths. With a few exceptions, vst synths are pure garbage. So the same ideal returns....

Money vs. No Money

What do you do.
there are a lot of high quality vsts out there wtf r u talkin bout? it dont take a ton of money to make good compositions. if ur a good composer u can make a good composition on a casio and cats were doin it a few years back. I believe Mannie Fresh was doin that a few years back.

JiggSaw said:
That's the problem. People focusing on money so much is taking away from the art.
couldnt agree more. cats just need to have fun if ur good the money will come

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
there are a lot of high quality vsts out there wtf r u talkin bout? it dont take a ton of money to make good compositions. if ur a good composer u can make a good composition on a casio and cats were doin it a few years back. I believe Mannie Fresh was doin that a few years back.

If the VST isnt a sampler, more than likely its whack. But whack being and opinonated word, it doesnt mean anything. So if you like it, do it, thats whats music is about.

Like i said, a few arent whack... other than that few....

I use some all the time lol, even use presets if thats how i feel, doesnt mean it wasnt lame, i may have just manipulated it. Just like i do samples, whack til i get my hands on it, golden when i print to disc. Midus Touch

MySpace Gangsta said:
That's exactly what I'm talkin about

It's not about the love of music no more, it's about the love of money

Money shouldnt be the main motivation for making. Ya'll hit the nail on the head with those statements. Good Talk...

SomOne said:

Money vs. No Money

What do you do.
What if you use your Triton or motif's sampler? What if you sample a singer's voice like heatmakers did Rell for dipset anthem? What if you use live instruments and samples like Linkin Park, Pink, Gwen Stefani, Akon, Dr. Dre, and Yea, even Britney Spears(Toxic, My Perrogative).

Then your studio is no different than any other rock studio, is it?

Problem is people who are against sampling don't take the time to come up with a valid arguement, they jump to conclusions based on no fact.

man my friend somtimes get on my nerves about the beats i make its like everyone i let listen to my music likes it and he'll throw subliminal messages sometimes about me sampling something like it takes no skill ,i chop my stuff up and he makes beats with his keyboard saying he's all original or something, when in actuallity i'll reck him on the keys too but i dont like making beats on keyboards cause to me they dont hold the emotion like sampling something.but im about to hop on the keyboard and give it a shot cause i heard some stuff from this dude chrono ,he plays the keyboard and it sounds like he sampled it but in actuallity he didnt and it hot!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Marol said:
Like folks said, Tritons and Motifs are sample based. You cannot get away from sampling, just someone else took care of it for you. STOP WHINING about if sampling will go away. Its not going to, and you have nothing to worry about...

Marol aka Marshall Oliver

Hit me up ya'll
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196999

:cry:
the tritons are synth based last time i looked. i could be wrong but i dont believe the Tritons contain any sample based information.

Too many haters in this world. Just do you.

Besides, there are so many classic cover albums out there. People do the standards all the time. See, jackin ain't just for us man.

Now me, I was never much of a sampler so Im learning the art of chopping and making something new. But don't let people fool you. Many songs, although sometimes even played live, are renditions of other songs.

SAMPLING IS COMPOSING!

The people that argue about

• hardware vs. software
  • 9th Wonder's Mix(LMAO!) HE'S STILL BETTER THAN YOU AND I WILL PROBABLY EVER BE(PUT TOGETHER)!
  • Or any other stuff that is irrelevant and pointless to being a future producer is sickening!
Even though i dont post a lot.I like coming to this site and seeing peoples opinions on things that may influence me and actually help better my craft. But the stuff I've been reading lately is HORRIBLE.

You telling me you rather be on her talking NONSENSE than in the lab sharpening your skill?!!!

No disrespect but after seeing a lot the replies posted inside of these threads....I don't see many future producers.

Yall know what I'm talking about.

Xabiton said:
the tritons are synth based last time i looked. i could be wrong but i dont believe the Tritons contain any sample based information.
Yeah, Tritons are sample based. 64mb of aif sounds even the synths on a triton are 3-5 note samples per preset. I own a triton rack, that's the only reason I know this.

Can't tell you the specs for Motif and Fantom.

SomOne said:
If the VST isnt a sampler, more than likely its whack. But whack being and opinonated word, it doesnt mean anything. So if you like it, do it, thats whats music is about.

Like i said, a few arent whack... other than that few....

I use some all the time lol, even use presets if thats how i feel, doesnt mean it wasnt lame, i may have just manipulated it. Just like i do samples, whack til i get my hands on it, golden when i print to disc. Midus Touch
i dont use vsts at all i dont like the work flow of most daws but I still cant understand how u can hate vsts unless u hate keyboard sounds as well because most vsts are a lot higher quality than any keyboard out there. some cats just hate soundbanks which is fine but i think its strange that anyone can say all vsts are wack when there are a ton of high quality ones out there. Im not talking ur hypersonic and sample tanks Im talking ur higher end $1,000+ vsts

I didnt say i hate them.

But let me do what my english instructor punished me for and told me never to do.(State the obvious)

I think VST's are whack... right? OBVIOUSLY I havent come into contact with every one out there. and OBVIOUSLY if I think they are lame, then i havent come into contact with a hot one.

I am just STATING THE OBVIOUS, that these are my OPINIONS and OBVIOUSLY it is common knowledge when OPINIONS are stated. Which is why you do not have to say... "In my opinon".

To add to that, opinons are based on the "ignorance level" (lol) of a person and the "ideaology" there of. So if my opinon is wrong, then i am ignorant to these high quality VTS's, but until i see some...

THEY ARE WHACK.... in my opinon
lol

Back