Samplers.... ????

D

dj funkifize

Hey,
I think I want to get a sampler. But first I want to know exactly what I can do with one. Can somebody help me? You could just point me to a website or something b/c I want to know ALL the gory details of how it works and stuff... so that might be too long for you to want to post.

anyway...
thanks in advance
-Mike

i can explain what a sampler enables you to do. I had an AKAI S6000 + FX option + 256MB RAM + SCSI HD + SCSI CD drive (sold it when i moved to USA) and did a lot with it.

the problem is: too many peopel do NOT know what a sampler can do and they imagine it simply triggers sounds here and there... loops.. BUT.. but you can do SO MUCH MORE.. get some CDROMS (not audio CD, CDROMS with instruments all made to load and use) with full orchestras! You can play the cello, sounding very realistic.. also you can get SYMPHONY OF VOICES (gorgeous 5CD set!) where you can have a full choral at your fingers

that's a bit more than looping sampled beats!!!
Also you can load drum kits and you wont need any other drumbox

you need to work on the computer though, with a sequencer like Cubase or Logic or Cakewalk to control everything.

hope this helped you. hit me back with any question

how does it work with sequencing, and playing different notes. for example, if you have one sample of a cello playing a Bb for 5 seconds, how do you get every other note to sound when you use your keyboard? Does it automatically pitch shift it? or do you have to do something yourself to get each note different? I don't understand that part at all really.

if you remember, I'm the one who asked a billion times if I should get the Virtuoso 2000 or something else (hehe) well, anyway before that you suggested that or a sampler. and I've been doing more reading and i think I do actually want a sampler, because of what it seems that it can do, but I don't see how it would work as a sound module does.
thanks alot
-Mike

[Edited by dj funkifize on 03-04-2001 at 01:23 PM]

samplers

To get a real life instrument sounding good on a sampler requires lots of velocity regions.

Depending on how hard u strike a key on your keyboard you can set up your sampler to respond to the pressure of your keystrike and trigger a varation of the same sound to give the impression of dynamics.

To create a good real sound u will have to create a new sample for every note if were dealing with a violin or whatever though its not a rule as u can set the pitch of any sample to key tracking which means the sampler effectively pitch up and down automatically to your actions on the keyboard over a defined region of notes.

Taking that into account i will also add that you can adjust the dynamics and amp, pitch, filter Envelopes to further add realism to the sound, a good sampler has endless feature to the way you can shape and map your sounds :)

as Mano one says, when u get a sampler like the s6000 u will have access to purchase already mapped instruments that will blow your mind. :)

hope that helps, my opinion samplers are the best thing ever to make your beats sound individual!

http://www.mp3.com/dafluxtah

thanks guys.
actually my friend found an old software sampler he had on his computer and I played with that the other day. It was set up like a real hardware sampler too. It's a bit confusing because it has no "help" feature.. or manual (my friend doesn't even know where he got it). so I had to figure it all out using trial and error. It's really cool. I recorded anything and trigger it with my keyboard. so yeah, I definitely want to get a real sampler.
I'm thinking about the Akai S2000.

later
-Mike

Back